+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we have to work for a Canadian company to apply for PR?

Jul 6, 2023
I am close to applying for my PGWP, and I already have an offer from a US based company for a remote position. They have Canadian employees in the company too, who get their salaries from platforms like Deel and Rippling, which manage their contracts and taxes in Canada.
My concern is: do we have to work for a company based in Canada to apply for PR later, or can I take the opportunity that has come along?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I am close to applying for my PGWP, and I already have an offer from a US based company for a remote position. They have Canadian employees in the company too, who get their salaries from platforms like Deel and Rippling, which manage their contracts and taxes in Canada.
My concern is: do we have to work for a company based in Canada to apply for PR later, or can I take the opportunity that has come along?
You'll have to work for a Canadian employer to claim points for Canadian work experience. You can apply for PR without working for Canadian employer if you can make the CRS cutoff with the foreign work exp.

Reactions: thefirstyeet

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! I needed proper clarity.
You need to look at the various EE programs and calculate how many points you will have. It will be harder to qualify without Canadian work experience. Most student apply for CEC and Canadian work experience in skilled/ semi-killed jobs gives them significant amount of CRS points. You will also lose out on potential points from a job offer from a Canadian employer.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay