+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we BOTH need the test for self-employed application?

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
I am applying as the principal applicant for immigration via the self-employed route, along with my husband. It's a bit unclear on the application. It looks like I definitely need the English language test even though that's my native language (application instructions state that the application will be returned if there are no language results included). Although it also looks like you only need it if you want to add the points to your score, which we may not need. Anyway, do we BOTH need to take the test, or just the principal applicant? The application does ask if my spouse has taken the test. Thanks!

Anilmenon

Dec 12, 2019
Spouse education counts. The adaptability points are 6 max. You have to score minimum 35 out of 100 to qualify for the program. Its not specific that your spouse need to have English/French language exam passed with any required band. Apart from the points, the selection is based on the Documentary evidence you have - to validate your application counts. Thus if you have your spouse taken the language test, has highest qualifications, has technical education and experience - it all help to validate your selection in the Self Employed stream. It is based on the Interview by the Immigration office and your ability to prove that you will be succeeding as a Self Employed Person in Canada, creating employment and contributing to Canadian Economy , society in positive aspects. Please refer this link... https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/self-employed/eligibility/selection-factors.html

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
Yes, we'll have his education info in the application too. But I don't see language ability for spouse even listed in the count. But maybe they'll see it anyway and it will "add" to our application. Unfortunately, the test is not cheap. But I suppose we'll both do it, just in case.

Anilmenon

Dec 12, 2019
When you finalizing and uploading the Documents, it will give an option "Any additional Documents " , where you can add any supporting documents which is not listed in Upload options given by the system. The system automatically select and decides the documents according to the category of application.

tanyaviola

Sep 28, 2020
When you finalizing and uploading the Documents, it will give an option "Any additional Documents " , where you can add any supporting documents which is not listed in Upload options given by the system. The system automatically select and decides the documents according to the category of application.
I actually have to mail in the application....I cannot upload it. But I suppose once they receive the application I can create an account and link it.

We have decided to both take the test anyway.

Anilmenon

Dec 12, 2019
Ok. Good... Paper applications takes little more time now due to Covid-19 and the working protocols. If you are mailing it as a package, make sure that you will have an exact copy of everything which you send in your file. Don't omit a single sheet, include a nice submission letter and attach a sheet with all enclosed document numbers and explained. All the very best to you and family.

Reactions: tanyaviola