+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do the "Second Generation Abroad" rules apply to me in my case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Cool - good luck!

dattad

Mar 14, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Link N. Parker said:
Hi Dattad,

Thank you for your reply, yes you are right, now that I think about it, I do believe I will be able to get a good IT job once I am there. I think my main concern is "How do I get there when I dont have a job lined up, and I have to able to live there first in order to get the job". I also have to be living there (with a a PR card) in order to apply for citizenship.

So, its another tough move to make. I would have to not only quit my current job to move there, but would have to burn thru savings while being there while looking for work.

I did come up with a plan though; instead of trying to go there thru skilled worker route, I was thinking instead of getting Short term permit (6 months or less), and then living there and looking for job in the 6 months. If you need more time, the Gov lets you ask for another 6 month permit. I dont know if I can work under that permit though; so once I was there, I would have to figure out a way to explain to an employer that I am there temporarily but I would like to be perm, but I need an employer to sponsor me.

So, the whole thing can be tricky and risky.
Link,

That was my concern as well before relocating permanently. What I started doing was submitting my resume to IT, Software, and Consulting Companies in Cities/Towns on which I could see myself living; without quitting my jobs or risking my family's stability.

Eventually, I landed a great job, quit my old job and move here. As I said, some companies are familiar with the LMO Process and can sponsor your Work Permit and Visa. There are a lot of companies in Montreal that would hire you, I am not kidding you at all.

Create a LinkedIn profile and make use of it, networking is KEY when finding a job and making contacts.
For example, Veritaaq, TEKsystems, Fujitsu, and CGI are great companies to consider.

All the best.
D.

May 3, 2013
dattad said:
Link,

That was my concern as well before relocating permanently. What I started doing was submitting my resume to IT, Software, and Consulting Companies in Cities/Towns on which I could see myself living; without quitting my jobs or risking my family's stability.

Eventually, I landed a great job, quit my old job and move here. As I said, some companies are familiar with the LMO Process and can sponsor your Work Permit and Visa. There are a lot of companies in Montreal that would hire you, I am not kidding you at all.

Create a LinkedIn profile and make use of it, networking is KEY when finding a job and making contacts.
For example, Veritaaq, TEKsystems, Fujitsu, and CGI are great companies to consider.

All the best.
D.
Ok, thank you for this information Dattad! Itis very encouraging! Interestingly enough, I have found jobs here in the states thru TEKSystems in the past.

May 3, 2013
I found this on the Govt of Canada's official travel website, with a publishing date of 2012:

http://travel.gc.ca/docs/publications/dual_citizenship-en.pdf

"Are you a Canadian citizen?"

"You may be a Canadian citizen if
you were born outside Canada
between January 1, 1947, and
April 16, 2009, inclusively to a
Canadian parent who was also
born outside Canada to a
Canadian parent (you are the
second or subsequent generation
born outside Canada). If you
think this may apply to you and
you need more information,
please contact CIC."

Very interesting! Maybe I should go ahead and apply for the citizenship card; I was thinking that there might be a 1% chance it would be approved.