+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Police Certificates have to be within 3 months of application?

Jon Jacobs

Apr 26, 2010
Hello,

I have a Police Certificate from the Japanese Embassy (in regards to the time I lived there) dated Feb 26th. Now I wont be able to submit my residency application (From WITHIN Canada) until Mid June.

My question is: How stringent is the 3 month rule? I'll be over 3 months by 2 to 3 weeks.

Many Thanks.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
the police certificate itself says 6 months but it says on the guide that it needs to be 3 months old only
when i find the page, i;ll post it

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
Page 6 of the Immigrant's Guide 3998E

"The certificate must have been issued no more than three months prior to submitting your application. If the original certificate is not in English or French, then you will need to submit both the certificate and the original copy of the translation prepared by an accredited translator."

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's simply messed up.... I originally requested State and FBI clearance in December 2009. Also did medical at that time. The State report came back in two weeks.

Three months later the FBI returned my request saying they could not read the prints. So I had them redone, for another three month wait.

In all I will be waiting six months for the FBI report. (assuming they can read the second prints) Does that mean I will have to redo my medical exam, and request State Police again???

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It cannot be older than 3 months from the time the police clearance was issued.
But the clearances themselves are valid for 6 months.

I

iarblue

Medicals are good for a year the state police you will need to do again.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Wait: this is the first I have heard of police reports expiring during the application processing period.

Let's say one submits the police report with the application -- which can take (say) 8-12 months to process. Does that mean that the police report expires 6 months into the proceessing period, and must be renewed?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Wait: this is the first I have heard of police reports expiring during the application processing period.

Let's say one submits the police report with the application -- which can take (say) 8-12 months to process. Does that mean that the police report expires 6 months into the proceessing period, and must be renewed?
It is extremely unlikely that you will be asked for a new police report if you applied under C-50 (applications after 28/02/09) Those applicants who applied under the old system and finally get to the processing stage after 4+ years are sometimes asked for new police certificates.

I

iarblue

No im saying if you do the app sit it on a table at home for three months with a police report in it then yoiu need a new one before you submit it .If you get the report and send it in it does not expire while it is in process unless its a process that takes a few years.but im saying if you get the police report and do not submitt it along with the app and it does expire after three months.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sitting on my application, But I've been waiting 5 months now for the FBI report. Should I request a new State police report? Or wait and let Canada IO ask for a new one? My understanding is State police reports (for the US) are optional or are they required?

Also while I'm at it, I thought they want police reports for any place you have been to in the past ten years. Or is it every State you have been in your life (or since age 18). In my case I was in Indiana for the past 20 years, before that I was in California, Ohio, and Georgia all three of these were for over 6 months each.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
It would only be states that you lived in for more than 6 months (since the age of 18, I think) but the official guide does not currently say you have to provide them, so you can wait and see if you are asked.

I

iarblue

I think the FBI report is more than enough.Wait for it send it in if they require another police report then get it then a police report does not take long to get.So wait for them to ask they may not even ask for it if your supplying an FBI report.