+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Do not apply for a renewal of your current PR card if it is still valid...

monotonous

May 28, 2013
for more than 6 months (180 days), unless it is due to a legal name change. Otherwise, your application will be returned."

But I read somewhere else it says the process take 6 months, so should I apply or not? My card will expire next January. How's this 6 months calculated? From the date they receive my application (which is how long after I send it out)?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monotonous said:
for more than 6 months (180 days), unless it is due to a legal name change. Otherwise, your application will be returned."

But I read somewhere else it says the process take 6 months, so should I apply or not? My card will expire next January. How's this 6 months calculated? From the date they receive my application (which is how long after I send it out)?
Subtract 180 days from the expiry date of your card in January 2014. This will give you a date in 2013. Mail the application on or after this date in 2013. The time it takes to get to CIC depends on who you use to mail the package e.g. Canada Post ask for their service standards.

monotonous

May 28, 2013
Msafiri said:
Subtract 180 days from the expiry date of your card in January 2014. This will give you a date in 2013. Mail the application on or after this date in 2013. The time it takes to get to CIC depends on who you use to mail the package e.g. Canada Post ask for their service standards.
So it says like this: 08 JAN /Jan 2014. I'm not sure the 08 is the date or the last 2 digitals of my ID#?

Thanks a lot

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, 08 is the date. Excel says that Jan. 8th 2014 minus 180 days is July 12th 2013 so date your application and mail it on July 13th and you should be fine.

I don't know where you get a processing time of 180 days. It is currently 93 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

In addition, nothing bad will happen to you when your PR card expires. It's absolutely fine to stay in Canada with an expired card. There is no law that says you must always have a valid card. You just need it for travel.

monotonous

May 28, 2013
Leon said:
Yes, 08 is the date. Excel says that Jan. 8th 2014 minus 180 days is July 12th 2013 so date your application and mail it on July 13th and you should be fine.

I don't know where you get a processing time of 180 days. It is currently 93 days, see

In addition, nothing bad will happen to you when your PR card expires. It's absolutely fine to stay in Canada with an expired card. There is no law that says you must always have a valid card. You just need it for travel.
Oh I see, this infomation really helped me, thank you so much :)