+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do new-commers need to file Tax

canadiann

Star Member
May 3, 2009
Hi,
Me and my wife landed on december 2009, but we did not have any income on 2009 in canada except expenses. Should we file tax this year or not? Is there any other benefit by filing tax even though we did not have any income?

I appreciate your opinion.

Canadian

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for GST credit and if you have deductions, they may be carried over into the next tax year so you should file. You can file at ufile.ca for free if you did not have any income.

claxtonCT

Star Member
Oct 11, 2008
when do we file tax return here in canada? I landed 3 weeks ago do I have to file?

What is the deal with this GST tax? thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you didn't actually live in Canada for any part of 2009, then you don't need to file. I am not even sure what the deadline is to file. I always do my taxes as soon as I have all the paperwork in February or March because if they owe you, the sooner you get your taxes done, the sooner you will get your money back.

The GST credit is something you check mark you want to apply for when you do your taxes and they will then send you a check every 3 months.

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
claxtonCT said:
when do we file tax return here in canada? I landed 3 weeks ago do I have to file?

What is the deal with this GST tax? thanks
GST = Goods and Services Tax. You will pay this on most things that you buy.

If you're in Ontario or British Columbia, this tax will be blended on July 1 with the provincial sales tax and will be called "HST", or Harmonized Sales Tax.

More info:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
I came on dec 26 2009. Do i need to file income tax for 2009 as i will be applying for cctb? Do i still need to put my husbands income as he is already deceased and i am applying as widowed. Where will the benefits be calculated, is it based on my income or my husband. Can i file my tax at the same time filing for cctb. Or wait until CRA get my tax report before applying for childs benefits?