Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
sammy, imo, you are non-resident for tax purposes until you come back here permanently, if you don't want to file you don't have to file, if you are so confused right now, ask a tax professional. Your wife if she doesn't have income, she doesn't have to file or she can file with zero income, either or.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Thank you for your reply , actually i did not want to ask a tax professional because i do not want to pay for somthing obvious ! I read the cra links and i understood the same as u did , i just wanted to double check by asking on the forum but people are saying the opposit so now im confused

My understanding is the following

My wife do not need to file because she has no income in december 2017 , she will have to file taxes for the year 2018 (even if she still did not secure a job )

For me i will land permanantly at 2018 and im not considered a resident tax for 2017 my only ties is my social security number and a bank account i opened once i landed in canada and my wife living for one month at 2017 is not a factor for me to have to pay taxes for my global income of 2017 ?

sammy, imo, you are non-resident for tax purposes until you come back here permanently, if you don't want to file you don't have to file, if you are so confused right now, ask a tax professional. Your wife if she doesn't have income, she doesn't have to file or she can file with zero income, either or.

Reactions: Alex54321

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If I was your wife, I would file zero income for 2017 so I have NOA for citizenship application purposes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your reply , actually i did not want to ask a tax professional because i do not want to pay for somthing obvious ! I read the cra links and i understood the same as u did , i just wanted to double check by asking on the forum but people are saying the opposit so now im confused

My understanding is the following

My wife do not need to file because she has no income in december 2017 , she will have to file taxes for the year 2018 (even if she still did not secure a job )

For me i will land permanantly at 2018 and im not considered a resident tax for 2017 my only ties is my social security number and a bank account i opened once i landed in canada and my wife living for one month at 2017 is not a factor for me to have to pay taxes for my global income of 2017 ?
Your wife doesn't need to file a 2017 return but she should to establish that she has returned to Canada.

It has nothing to do with you actually being in Canada. You will have significant residential ties to the country with your wife and child living here, secondary ties such as the bank account AND the intent to permanently move to Canada in 2018. You will be considered a resident for tax purposes.

It really isn't a big deal. You are not required to declare and pay tax on income earned outside of Canada before you become a resident for tax purposes, so it's not like you are really paying anything unless you have a very high income and there is no dual taxation agreement with your country. Even then, it would be quite a small amount.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Your wife doesn't need to file a 2017 return but she should to establish that she has returned to Canada.

It has nothing to do with you actually being in Canada. You will have significant residential ties to the country with your wife and child living here, secondary ties such as the bank account AND the intent to permanently move to Canada in 2018. You will be considered a resident for tax purposes.

It really isn't a big deal. You are not required to declare and pay tax on income earned outside of Canada before you become a resident for tax purposes, so it's not like you are really paying anything unless you have a very high income and there is no dual taxation agreement with your country. Even then, it would be quite a small amount.

Thanks Canuk , now it is much clear for me , so from what you are saying is that i will not considered a tax resident until the year 2018 because my wife did not live for long period in 2017 ( just for one month )

But could you explain to me the folloing points you made

1- what do you mean by " your wife should establish her return " ? is there a specific authority to contact regarding when she return permanantly in next december?

2- regarding the taxation on global income , actually my country does not have a tax treaty with canada . you mentioned the taxation amount is small ! is there a specific percentage that you should pay on global tax income ?

Thanks

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
If I was your wife, I would file zero income for 2017 so I have NOA for citizenship application purposes.
Thanks dear pie_vancouver for your pricless advise ! I just noticed what NOA means and it seems it is like a paper give by CRA and if understood you right it seems I have to submit those with our citizenship application right?

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
also another question dear forum member , if my wife want to apply for our children , do we have to wait until next year to apply or she can apply for them at December when she permanently moves ?

thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for replying , so are u saying that i should file and pay taxes for a whole year on my global income because my wife lived in canada for december while my wife does not have to because she has no income in canada !
Not on your whole year's income...only on the income earned from the date that your wife began living in Canada. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. If she is living here, using Canada's services and not earning, someone has to pay for it, right?

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Not on your whole year's income...only on the income earned from the date that your wife began living in Canada. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. If she is living here, using Canada's services and not earning, someone has to pay for it, right?
dear it make perfect sense for the 2018 year , but i do not think they require paying taxes for one month of the 2017 year because my wife stayed in december , i think it is either you are entitled to pay taxes for the whole year or your not ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuk , now it is much clear for me , so from what you are saying is that i will not considered a tax resident until the year 2018 because my wife did not live for long period in 2017 ( just for one month )
Sigh. No, that is not what I said. You will be a tax resident in Dec 2017, when you establish significant ties to Canada.

1- what do you mean by " your wife should establish her return " ? is there a specific authority to contact regarding when she return permanantly in next december?

2- regarding the taxation on global income , actually my country does not have a tax treaty with canada . you mentioned the taxation amount is small ! is there a specific percentage that you should pay on global tax income ?
1. Exactly that, file a tax return stating she resides in Canada as of Dec 2017. There is no "specific authority" to contact.

2. There is no special tax percentage. You will declare your income earned in Dec 2017 after your wife moves to Canada and pay any necessary tax on that.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
dear it make perfect sense for the 2018 year , but i do not think they require paying taxes for one month of the 2017 year because my wife stayed in december , i think it is either you are entitled to pay taxes for the whole year or your not ?
You pay taxes for the period that you are a tax resident of Canada. If that is one month in 2017, then you only pay taxes on income earned in that one month. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

sammy_engineer

Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for your explanation so if my wife file zero income for the 2017 should imalso file income tax or i should add the taxation of the december month on my global income when i declare my income tax for 2018 .
You pay taxes for the period that you are a tax resident of Canada. If that is one month in 2017, then you only pay taxes on income earned in that one month. It's not an all or nothing proposition.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for your explanation so if my wife file zero income for the 2017 should imalso file income tax or i should add the taxation of the december month on my global income when i declare my income tax for 2018 .
Income earned in 2017 has to be reported on the 2017 tax filing. So, you need to include your December income on your 2017 tax return.