+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do My Career Goals Sound Confusing?

SpaceTraveller

Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys, could really use some advice here. I've talked to some users here and they've said that my career goals sound too confusing and can't be justified on my SOP.

Here's the thing: I have an undergraduate degree in Animation from the UK. However after finishing that course, I decided that I no longer want to work in animation. It's good as a hobby, but not so good as a career. I then took a break for some time to think about what I wanted to do.

After much research and thinking, I decided that I want to get into Web Development. The job stability is good (web developers are high in demand), and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

So in my SOP I've said that the career area I want to now focus on is - Web Development and other roles such as Digital Content Management.

This is the part I'm worried about - The fact that I mixed Web Development with Digital Content Management. Was it a mistake to mix in those roles? Because Digital Content Management is usually associated with marketing (not IT). Even in many places online, they say the requirements for digital content management is to have a degree in journalism or marketing, because its considered a marketing type role.

The reason I mixed those two together was because my ideal job would be to work at a company and build and manage their website and online presence. That would include building their website from scratch (the back end part of web development) and then building the design and interface of it (front end) as well as creating content for their website and online presence (video editing, photo editing, writing etc.)

That's my ideal job. I know bigger companies usually have different people working different roles but smaller companies can have one person undertaking those multiple tasks which I've described.

Does this sound confusing? How can this be justified?

Last edited:

Nbcube

Nov 11, 2019
Hi guys, could really use some advice here. I've talked to some users here and they've said that my career goals sound too confusing and can't be justified on my SOP.

Here's the thing: I have an undergraduate degree in Animation from the UK. However after finishing that course, I decided that I no longer want to work in animation. It's good as a hobby, but not so good as a career. I then took a break for some time to think about what I wanted to do.

After much research and thinking, I decided that I want to get into Web Development. The job stability is good (web developers are high in demand), and it sounds like something I would enjoy.

So in my SOP I've said that the career area I want to now focus on is - Web Development and other roles such as Digital Content Management.

This is the part I'm worried about - The fact that I mixed Web Development with Digital Content Management. Was it a mistake to mix in those roles? Because Digital Content Management is usually associated with marketing (not IT).

The reason I mixed those two together was because my ideal job would be to work at a company and build and manage their website and online presence. That would include building their website from scratch (the back end part of web development) and then building the design and interface of it (front end) as well as creating content for their website and online presence (video editing, photo editing, writing etc.)

That's my ideal job. I know bigger companies usually have different people working different roles but smaller companies can have one person undertaking those multiple tasks which I've described.

Does this sound confusing? How can this be justified?
Hi,

Your career choice seem perfectly fine. Its just that you have to properly explain your course selection in your SOP with reference to your future prospects and relevance to your career growth back in your homeland.

I was in a similar situation as yours, as my current profession path didn't seem directly related to my course selection. Then I redrafted my SOP in the second application submission emphasising on how I reached the cource selection, it's relevance in my professional growth and future plans back in India.

Reactions: SpaceTraveller

SpaceTraveller

Nov 2, 2019
Hi,

Your career choice seem perfectly fine. Its just that you have to properly explain your course selection in your SOP with reference to your future prospects and relevance to your career growth back in your homeland.

I was in a similar situation as yours, as my current profession path didn't seem directly related to my course selection. Then I redrafted my SOP in the second application submission emphasising on how I reached the cource selection, it's relevance in my professional growth and future plans back in India.
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you justify how you reached your course selection? Did it have something to do with your work experience? Or was it just a change of mind and interest?

Nbcube

Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you justify how you reached your course selection? Did it have something to do with your work experience? Or was it just a change of mind and interest?
The project and seminar I did during my engineering was related to my course selection. Secondly, the profession that I was in, even though not directly related, but there were aspects which were related to the field.

And no, it was not a change of mind, its just that I wanted to learn about the course I selected as I think it would open more career path in near future.

SpaceTraveller

Nov 2, 2019
Secondly, the profession that I was in, even though not directly related, but there were aspects which were related to the field.
Hmm one problem I have though is that I have no work experience to tie in my decision to switch :/

Because right after I finished my undergraduate, I decided that I wanted to switch careers.

Nbcube

Nov 11, 2019
Hmm one problem I have though is that I have no work experience to tie in my decision to switch :/

Because right after I finished my undergraduate, I decided that I wanted to switch careers.
You could try linking the relevance of your knowledge gained during animation course in the web development field, like how the knowledge of animation would eventually enhance the your overall web development project for a client, And how this would give you a definite edge over other in the field.

Hope that makes sense.