+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i still need a work permit when i have a co-op work permit?

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
I have been issued a co-op work permit by my institution and instructed to work for 25hours per week. I want to inquire whether I can get both co-op work permit and work permit to work aside from my required work practicum in Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have been issued a co-op work permit by my institution and instructed to work for 25hours per week. I want to inquire whether I can get both co-op work permit and work permit to work aside from my required work practicum in Canada.
You are on a study permit. Are there any conditions on your permit that say you cannot work on or off campus?

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
I haven't applied yet for study permit. I need provincial attestation letter. I just want to be sure so I can apply for work permit alongside co-op work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I haven't applied yet for study permit. I need provincial attestation letter. I just want to be sure so I can apply for work permit alongside co-op work permit.
You will not know until you get your study permit. You aren't applying for a work permit but a study permit with co-op. The study permit may allows you to work up to 20 hours. If your permit says that you cannot work then you cannot until you apply and ask to change conditions. That is why you must show funds to support yourself.

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
Please, do I need police clearance certificate for study permit based on the fact that I'm from Nigeria.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Please, do I need police clearance certificate for study permit based on the fact that I'm from Nigeria.
You can check the requirements for your country. It is not usually required but IRCC can ask for anything. What school? Have you paid tuition? Do you have the funds?

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
Saskatchewan Polytechnic, that's the name of the school, I paid 15k out of the first year tuition fees, it's just the proof of funds I'm not really certain I can provide the whole amount.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Saskatchewan Polytechnic, that's the name of the school, I paid 15k out of the first year tuition fees, it's just the proof of funds I'm not really certain I can provide the whole amount.
You need to show a minimum of $20k for one person if you have not applied yet. Canada is very expensive and even if you can work 20 hours a week that may not even cover living expenses.

Last edited:

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
I'd love to ask whether an international student can have a co-op permit at the same time with open work permit to work off campus during one's academic year.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'd love to ask whether an international student can have a co-op permit at the same time with open work permit to work off campus during one's academic year.
Why do you need an open work permit? Your study permit lets you work 20 hours off campus. Your co-op work permit lets you work for course/program completion

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
I want to ask a question that I've been confused about on Sponsorship. My sponsor lives in the US and although the proof of funds is complete. On the ircc website, it says the pof should be 4months in a bank account. My question basically is that based on my sponsor in the US, how many months should the POF be in their account before I can apply for study permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to ask a question that I've been confused about on Sponsorship. My sponsor lives in the US and although the proof of funds is complete. On the ircc website, it says the pof should be 4months in a bank account. My question basically is that based on my sponsor in the US, how many months should the POF be in their account before I can apply for study permit?
4 months. Sponsor shows minimum funds for your studies plus enough for them to live. IRCC doesn’t need to consider sponsor’s funds if not a parent/grandparent/sibling.

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
4 months. Sponsor shows minimum funds for your studies plus enough for them to live. IRCC doesn’t need to consider sponsor’s funds if not a parent/grandparent/sibling.
I'm sorry, Please could you help explain better so I can understand better. Well, my sponsor is a sibling and a citizen of USA. So what you're saying is that it still has to be in the account for 4months because she's a sibling.

I also want to ask for guidance on how to address the immigration officers concerning the Letter of Sponsorship.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm sorry, Please could you help explain better so I can understand better. Well, my sponsor is a sibling and a citizen of USA. So what you're saying is that it still has to be in the account for 4months because she's a sibling.

I also want to ask for guidance on how to address the immigration officers concerning the Letter of Sponsorship.
It doesn’t matter who is showing funds but the statements must be over a 4 month period. If sibling is supporting you then bank statements need to cover your minimum living expenses, tuition and their living expenses (or any expenses).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/get-documents.html#doc3

There is no such thing as a letter of sponsorship. If your sponsor is a sibling then sibling shows banks statements, job letters, proof of income and letter stating that your sibling will cover your expenses and tuition for your years of study.

Reactions: YVR123

Nez0t

Jan 25, 2024
I understood your answer, if I want to change the method in which I submit details as proof of funds for my permit application. If I choose to go with the other options left on ircc website such as the bank draft that can be converted into Canadian dollars. Do I need to wait for a period of 4 months before I apply for study visa. I need a thorough answer, thank you