+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I qualify to apply under CEC? Please help!

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
Hi all,
I've tried to find this information on the CIC website, as well as here, but I'm still very confused about requirements for the CEC category. I have completed an M.Sc. degree at a Canadian university. As part of my program I was a full-time RA and a part-time TA (NOC 4122) for 2.5 years. After graduating, I went on to do a PhD at the same university where I still teach (PT) and do research (FT). So far I've been in the program for 14 months. I have all the required T4, T4A and notice of assessment available, as well as letters from my supervisors, school of grad studies and payroll and HR offices.
CIC website states that in order to apply under the graduate stream one has to have at least 1 year of full-time (or equivalent) work experience, and that it cannot be obtained during studies. Would my work experience as a RA and TA during my PhD meet the requirements (since I acquired it AFTER graduating)? If not, would I qualify to apply under the temporary foreign worker stream?
I was hoping to figure this out on my own, but I find information on CIC website kind of confusing and I dont feel like paying 300 CAD for a short session with an immigration consultant. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice! Thanks a lot in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The post-graduation work experience would count, as long as it is considered university employment. It's hard to see how you could hold a part-time job, a full-time job, and be a PhD student (presumably full time) as well. There just aren't that many hours in a day :)

The T4A is a clue. It suggests that at least part of your earnings are non-wage (scholarship, fellowship, grant). Another rule of thumb - if it's research for your dissertation - it's education, not employment. If it's someone else's research you are paid to do, it's employment. In many cases it's not easy to separate the two.

The other challenge - you will have to be able to document # of hours worked, to be able to tally up the FTE. That can be challenging with stipends.

But some people have reported success in your circumstance.

Search this forum, this topic has come up many times...

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
Hey thanks a lot for your help man! Yah Im employed by the university and I could get my supervisors to write pretty much whatever I want in letters of reference. I couldn't find any information regarding a minimum wage requirement, from which I assume that as long as I have T4 slips showing SOME income, I should be fine.

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
So I just talked to a CIC agent... I dont think those guys have a clue about whats going on haha It was slow and painful, but i finally managed to describe my situation to him and he said that I can't apply as a graduate, cuz my work experience was obtained with a study permit and not a work permit. Then I asked about the foreign worker stream and he said that he couldn't find any information that would clearly state that work experience cannot be obtained during studies. So I guess Ill shoot for that. As far as I understand you dont specify under which stream you wish to apply and they kinda figure it out themselves based on the information in your application. Am I right? I guess I'll just go with that and see what happens lol
Still I would appreciate any input on this. There must be someone in similar circumstances! Please share :)

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Hi - I am in the same situation. I applied to Buffalo ~3 months ago. I used my 2 year Masters degree from Canada and 1 year work experience in my PhD program (TA/GRA - NOC 4122). My application has been 'In Process' since May 13, 2010 and I am just waiting to see what happens during the assessment period. I know a couple of other people who have applied through the foreign worker stream (2 years GRA experience in their Masters/PhD programs) and their applications too are In Process. I will update you with any info as it comes.

Essat

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
Essat said:
Hi - I am in the same situation. I applied to Buffalo ~3 months ago. I used my 2 year Masters degree from Canada and 1 year work experience in my PhD program (TA/GRA - NOC 4122). My application has been 'In Process' since May 13, 2010 and I am just waiting to see what happens during the assessment period. I know a couple of other people who have applied through the foreign worker stream (2 years GRA experience in their Masters/PhD programs) and their applications too are In Process. I will update you with any info as it comes.

Essat
Awesome! Looks like I'm going to do the exact same thing! Thanks a lot and good luck with your application!