+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I qualify for OHIP through Family Sponsorship?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jtg0d said:
Hmm, I've spoken with the CIC rep before we submitted our sponsorship application several months ago. I believe that person explained to us that implied status takes effect when we submit the sponsorship application and before the final decision is made. That's why we did not renew my wife's visitor status, which expired in Nov 2014. Oh man, were we mislead/misunderstood? How is this going to effect our OWP and/or sponsorship application?
Submitting a PR application does not give any form of Implied Status. It is the OWP app submitted along with the inland app that gives Implied Status.

As she didn't include the OWP app and never extended her visitor status, she is currently illegal in Canada. A requirement of the pilot program is that an applicant have valid status in Canada, so your wife doesn't qualify.

Her illegal status won't cause the PR app to be refused but until she has legal status again, she will be at risk for removal from Canada. The risk is small, though there has been the rare occasion of out of status inland applicants being removed from Canada before.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Submitting a PR application does not give any form of Implied Status. It is the OWP app submitted along with the inland app that gives Implied Status.

As she didn't include the OWP app and never extended her visitor status, she is currently illegal in Canada. A requirement of the pilot program is that an applicant have valid status in Canada, so your wife doesn't qualify.

Her illegal status won't cause the PR app to be refused but until she has legal status again, she will be at risk for removal from Canada. The risk is small, though there has been the rare occasion of out of status inland applicants being removed from Canada before.
The pilot program kicked into effect on Dec 22nd, 2014. We submitted our sponsorship app before that, in late October. So there was no OWP application that we could of sent.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jtg0d said:
The pilot program kicked into effect on Dec 22nd, 2014. We submitted our sponsorship app before that, in late October. So there was no OWP application that we could of sent.
Actually - there was. All the introduction of the OWP pilot did was move the approval of the OWP to an earlier stage of processing. Even prior to the introduction of the OWP pilot, many inland applicants were submitting an OWP with their original application to have implied status in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jtg0d said:
There has been the option to send the OWP app with the inland PR app for many years, with the OWP being granted after AIP. As scylla said, the pilot program speeds up the issuance of the OWP instead of applicants having to wait for AIP.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
Hmm, I've spoken with the CIC rep before we submitted our sponsorship application several months ago. I believe that person explained to us that implied status takes effect when we submit the sponsorship application and before the final decision is made. That's why we did not renew my wife's visitor status, which expired in Nov 2014. Oh man, were we mislead/misunderstood? How is this going to effect our OWP and/or sponsorship application?
Yes unfortunately you were misinformed. Applying for PR does not give you implied status, applying for the OWP does. If her visitor status ran out, technically she is now here illegally.

When did her status end? If it's been less than 90 days since her status ran out, she can apply for restoration of status.

I'm not sure if being out of status right now will affect getting the OWP. You can always simply apply for it, and see what happens. I think other people have gotten OWP under this pilot program despite being out of status at the time, but I can't say for sure what will happen in your case.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Rob_TO said:
Yes unfortunately you were misinformed. Applying for PR does not give you implied status, applying for the OWP does. If her visitor status ran out, technically she is now here illegally.

When did her status end? If it's been less than 90 days since her status ran out, she can apply for restoration of status.

I'm not sure if being out of status right now will affect getting the OWP. You can always simply apply for it, and see what happens. I think other people have gotten OWP under this pilot program despite being out of status at the time, but I can't say for sure what will happen in your case.
Her status was valid until Dec 1, 2014. So its been 108 days now. Too late.
We already submitted our OWP application about 2-3 weeks ago, we put "implied" status under "Current status" section after talking to CIC rep (we called in several times). I guess we just have to wait for the results. I don't know what else to do.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
jtg0d said:
I don't know what else to do.
short of her leaving and resubmitting as an outland applicant, there really is nothing that can be done at this point.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
Her status was valid until Dec 1, 2014. So its been 108 days now. Too late.
We already submitted our OWP application about 2-3 weeks ago, we put "implied" status under "Current status" section after talking to CIC rep (we called in several times). I guess we just have to wait for the results. I don't know what else to do.
CIC may not actually check your status in detail and just assume you have implied status, and issue you the work permit. You never know.

Also I checked with my friend who has received OWP under new pilot program, and even though he was already in Canada previously he still needs to do the 3 months waiting period before his OHIP begins.

So in your wife's case if she gets OWP in 4 months then does a 3 month waiting period, you are looking at 7 months minimum to get OHIP. Longer if CIC takes longer to give the OWP (if the status issues doesn't make her ineligible). You are cutting it very close, so I'll stress again to look into a midwife asap unless you have minimum $5K or more lying around you want to spend on the birth.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Thank you all for your help and advice. My wife does not want to leave the country, nor do I want her to leave. I talked with colleagues at work about midwife option and while only some people recommend using midwife, all of them recommend to give birth @ the hospital with midwife or without. It is safer for my wife and the baby in case of a complication. I will have to work hard to build up financial reserves and hope for the best. I cannot let finances risk my wife's or my baby's health being.

Thank you all again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
Thank you all for your help and advice. My wife does not want to leave the country, nor do I want her to leave. I talked with colleagues at work about midwife option and while only some people recommend using midwife, all of them recommend to give birth @ the hospital with midwife or without. It is safer for my wife and the baby in case of a complication. I will have to work hard to build up financial reserves and hope for the best. I cannot let finances risk my wife's or my baby's health being.

Thank you all again.
My wife and I used a midwife, but also decided to deliver in a hospital with the midwife due to any potential complications or emergencies that could happen. In case of any signs of serious trouble, the midwives will quickly call for a doctor to come and take over. But 2 of our friends recently did home-births with their midwife, and everything went fine.

If you deliver in a hospital with midwives the cost will be much cheaper if you don't have OHIP. If everything is normal you would not even see a doctor or nurse, or need to stay overnight. If a normal delivery, you can go home around 4 hours after the delivery, and then the midwife will visit you at your home the next few days to do the follow ups and check everything is ok.

In general midwives offer more personalized care, are more attentive before, during and after the pregnancy, you can call them at any time day or night during the pregnancy, and you are certain that someone you personally know will be the one doing your delivery instead of some random doctor. All of which can't be said if using an OB. There is a reason midwives are in such high demand in Ontario, and why many people end up on waiting lists for them if they don't call them as soon as they discover they're pregnant.

Especially for someone who may not have OHIP during the pregnancy and delivery, there is no good reason not to use a midwife (if you can get one).

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Hi all

This is an old post, but in case someone is in a similar position, here is our experience:

We went with a midwife, we called about 3 of them - there aren't that many and they service a very specific area so if you are pregnant and don't have OHIP, you got to move fast. The reason behind it is that midwives have limited spots and will not accept you if they are full or live far away from their service area. Only 2 midwives were serving in our area. They asked our delivery date and one of them said they are full and would not take us. The other ones were willing to take us. They are the "East Mississauga Midwives" at Dundas/Dixie in Mississauga. They were truly amazing people, we had nothing but awesome experience with them. Very personalized service and care.

The only snag that is barely worth mentioning was that sometimes we would get billed for doing stuff like tests and such (its supposed to be cowered by Ministry of Health and billed directly to them, but since the program is "fairly new", some companies don't know what to do so they bill the original client). we would on occasion get a bill or two, and once we even got the "final notice" bill. We would notify the midwifes and they would take care of it. We didn't have to pay much other than the hospital stay. Luckily, our delivery was without complications and our stay was a day only. We were charged just above $3000, which was the minimum we were expecting. Not bad! So I cannot stress it again for all OHIPless people - go get your midwife!

Our healthy baby-boy was born in November and if we ever decide to have another child we will go with midwives again - regardless of OHIP.

Thank you all again for advice