+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I qualify for Alberta health insurance?

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
Sorry if this question is silly or too narrow, but I felt this was an appropriate place to ask this.

I entered the country in August. Just received my AOR today, going the inland spousal sponsorship route. I applied for a visitor extension back in January before my visitor status expired (in February), but I haven't heard back from that yet and I'm anticipating it being returned due to error. I was told I would be able to possibly qualify for Alberta Health when I got word back from it, but I was wondering if receiving my AOR for permanent residency is adequate for showing intent to stay. Should I wait for my open work permit, or is AOR good enough?

Appreciate any help

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Sorry if this question is silly or too narrow, but I felt this was an appropriate place to ask this.

I entered the country in August. Just received my AOR today, going the inland spousal sponsorship route. I applied for a visitor extension back in January before my visitor status expired (in February), but I haven't heard back from that yet and I'm anticipating it being returned due to error. I was told I would be able to possibly qualify for Alberta Health when I got word back from it, but I was wondering if receiving my AOR for permanent residency is adequate for showing intent to stay. Should I wait for my open work permit, or is AOR good enough?

Appreciate any help
Not a silly question at all!

You need a valid permit to qualify for health insurance in Alberta. I applied for it right after I received my OWP.

Here's some info on government website:
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-temporary-residents.aspx

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
Not a silly question at all!

You need a valid permit to qualify for health insurance in Alberta. I applied for it right after I received my OWP.

Here's some info on government website:
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-temporary-residents.aspx
I actually read that right before posting this, haha. I guess I was just hoping I would be able to apply for it sooner than that, since I've heard other anecdotal stories of people getting AHC off of things such as visitor extension approval, receipt showing that they applied for permanent residency, etc. Guess they just got lucky

Thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I actually read that right before posting this, haha. I guess I was just hoping I would be able to apply for it sooner than that, since I've heard other anecdotal stories of people getting AHC off of things such as visitor extension approval, receipt showing that they applied for permanent residency, etc. Guess they just got lucky

Thanks a lot
Are you married to a Canadian citizen or PR? Spouses usually qualify for healthcare in Alberta. It is one of the only provinces.

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I will do that. Unfortunately they just closed so I have to wait tomorrow, but I'll give it a try
I'm sorry if I misinformed you. Please post it here if you qualified. I'm sure there are many many others with the same question. ^^

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks a lot
You need proof of valid status to get coverage. For a visitor, the means a Visitor Record. Are you on Implied Status right now? Your previous posts state that you applied for Restoration but you also state that you applied for a visitor extension that you expect to be refused.

SoulBrotha

Feb 26, 2019
You need proof of valid status to get coverage. For a visitor, the means a Visitor Record. Are you on Implied Status right now? Your previous posts state that you applied for Restoration but you also state that you applied for a visitor extension that you expect to be refused.
I am. I have the stamp on my passport that shows the date I came and the date my visitor status ended, but then those things you pointed out happened. So I am technically on implied status now to my knowledge

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am. I have the stamp on my passport that shows the date I came and the date my visitor status ended, but then those things you pointed out happened. So I am technically on implied status now to my knowledge
You won't qualify for Alberta health while on Implied Status.

Reactions: Buletruck