+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I qualify for a Work Permit?

Xivory

Feb 16, 2012
Hello,

I have been trying to research this on my own but its really a confusing road. So here are the facts:

I work for a Canadian company (as a freelancer).
I live in the US.
I would like to move to Canada and work for this company.

My questions are:

Can I move to Canada on a 6 month Work Permit based on the fact that I already work for a Canadian company?
Does the company just provide me with a letter saying I work for them, or do they need to fill out some official forms?
Can my family come with me? (Common Law husband and two children)
Can I renew the work permit every 6 months providing I still have work with that company, and in the meanwhile apply for perm. resident status?

Thank you so much everyone.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Xivory said:
Hello,

I have been trying to research this on my own but its really a confusing road. So here are the facts:

I work for a Canadian company (as a freelancer).
I live in the US.
I would like to move to Canada and work for this company.

My questions are:

Can I move to Canada on a 6 month Work Permit based on the fact that I already work for a Canadian company?
Does the company just provide me with a letter saying I work for them, or do they need to fill out some official forms?
Can my family come with me? (Common Law husband and two children)
Can I renew the work permit every 6 months providing I still have work with that company, and in the meanwhile apply for perm. resident status?

Thank you so much everyone.
1. No, you are self employed.
2. To work for the company in Canada, they will be required to get an approved Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC after advertising the position on the job bank for 2 weeks and then demonstrate that no Canadians or PRs were qualified for the position. If the get a positive LMO (8-12 weeks) then you could apply for a work permit.
3. Yes, your family can come with you. If the work permit is for 6 months or less, your spouse will not be able to work.
4. Everytime you need to renew the work permit, your employer requires a new LMO.