+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to translate entry/exit stamps on my passport?

jasmin13

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 2012
Med's Request
Sep 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Interview........
in process Sep 2013
Passport Req..
23 oct 2013
LANDED..........
already in Canada
Hello guys,
I am invited for citizenship test. In the pdf I received ('notice to appear') it does not ask for translation of the stamps in my passport and only ask for the original passports. does that mean I don't need to have those entry/exit stamps in my passport translated?
Thank you guys

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
Hello guys,
I am invited for citizenship test. In the pdf I received ('notice to appear') it does not ask for translation of the stamps in my passport and only ask for the original passports. does that mean I don't need to have those entry/exit stamps in my passport translated?
Thank you guys
If all the seals are clearly visible and in English its fine. If NOT better to go with a translation, since some lenient officer might just flip a few pages and mark OK or if you get a strict officer then he or she will raise objection and then your application would go thru all the delays involved.

Reactions: jasmin13

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello guys,
Thank you guys
Best to get it translated to avoid delays. Assuming the stamps are not in English or French

jasmin13

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 2012
Med's Request
Sep 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Interview........
in process Sep 2013
Passport Req..
23 oct 2013
LANDED..........
already in Canada
thank you guys, do you know of cases that they ask to get non-english stamps translated directly in the invitation? or everyone translate them assuming they need it to be able to assess your presence in Canada.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
thank you guys, do you know of cases that they ask to get non-english stamps translated directly in the invitation? or everyone translate them assuming they need it to be able to assess your presence in Canada.
Every office has a different template for the test invite. Some offices explicitly ask for translations while others don't. I'm being processed at Scarborough in the GTA. And IIRC, they didn't ask for stamp translation on the invite. Yet. a lot of people were asked to provide them during the interview at the same CPC.

Canehdian Girl

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Yes, yes, yes and yes. As a piece of advise translate each stamp in your passport which is not in English or French, even if the stamp is outside the eligibility period. I am no expert, but I am talking from my own experience. During my interview after the citizenship test, the lady checked each and every page of my passport stamps and make sure that the translation has an affidavit attached to it. (affidavit is a cover page saying that this is a true translation etc... it is a requirement) I was so glad I got the translations with me to the interview.
Good luck

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Yes, yes, yes and yes. As a piece of advise translate each stamp in your passport which is not in English or French, even if the stamp is outside the eligibility period. I am no expert, but I am talking from my own experience. During my interview after the citizenship test, the lady checked each and every page of my passport stamps and make sure that the translation has an affidavit attached to it. (affidavit is a cover page saying that this is a true translation etc... it is a requirement) I was so glad I got the translations with me to the interview.
Good luck
Hello, did they check passports that expired before your eligibility period ? I have a passport that expired in 2007, more than a decade ago. My elibility period starts in 2012. I was thinking of not presenting this passport at all, given it's totally irrelevant. Thanks

Canehdian Girl

Star Member
Aug 26, 2017
Hello, did they check passports that expired before your eligibility period ? I have a passport that expired in 2007, more than a decade ago. My elibility period starts in 2012. I was thinking of not presenting this passport at all, given it's totally irrelevant. Thanks
Yes she did briefly. I had a passport expired in 2007 obviously before my eligibility period. She just looked at it and said we don't need to look at that and put it on the side. But I meant if you have stamps on the passport which is within your eligibility period, translate all the stamps, because the person checking your passport will not know if this stamp is before or during the eligibility period unless it is translated. The last thing you want during an interview is to confuse the interviewer.

Reactions: razerblade

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Yes she did briefly. I had a passport expired in 2007 obviously before my eligibility period. She just looked at it and said we don't need to look at that and put it on the side. But I meant if you have stamps on the passport which is within your eligibility period, translate all the stamps, because the person checking your passport will not know if this stamp is before or during the eligibility period unless it is translated. The last thing you want during an interview is to confuse the interviewer.
Agreed. Much appreciated, thank you

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
There should be no need to have anything in it translated. I also took the passports that were outside the eligibility period, just because the letter says to bring all passports (I think it's sloppy wording on the letter, but I didn't feel like taking any chances).
The CO looked at the biographical page of all passports I presented and handed back the ones that were outside the eligibility period, only checking the stamps in the ones that were within the relevant time frame.

Reactions: razerblade

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
There should be no need to have anything in it translated. I also took the passports that were outside the eligibility period, just because the letter says to bring all passports (I think it's sloppy wording on the letter, but I didn't feel like taking any chances).
The CO looked at the biographical page of all passports I presented and handed back the ones that were outside the eligibility period, only checking the stamps in the ones that were within the relevant time frame.
Thank you! I will take it with me, but not present it.

jasmin13

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 2012
Med's Request
Sep 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Interview........
in process Sep 2013
Passport Req..
23 oct 2013
LANDED..........
already in Canada
thank you very much guys.
what I find strange is the fact that if I didn't check this forum I wouldn't have any indication that I need to have those entry/exit stamps translated. basically no where in the citizenship application checklist, nor the 'notice to appear' checklist talks about having entry/exit stamps translated so how people out of this forum would even know about this?
I also spoke to two friends of mine who got their citizenship already and they said they didn't submit any translation and they were fine (they did have non-english entry/exit stamp).
so my question is for those who already went through interview, did any of you got in their checklist a request to translate entry/exit stamps?
Thanks again guys

PIBHE

Mar 2, 2018
Mississauga
I’m wondering if the stamps like from Cuba, Dominican Republic or European Union, like Spain or Germany? Which means you need to find Spanish, German certified translators with the affidavit attested by the Notary or Commissioner of Oaths??

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
During my interview I was asked for translation of stamps which was submitted same time but got FP after 15 days.

PIBHE

Mar 2, 2018
Mississauga
I know it’s a bit irrelevant to this thread, but is there any option to submit FP at the moment of application submission?