+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to submit IMM5257 Schedule 1 for a study permit application made outside of Canada?

chizhang504

May 20, 2022
Hi, all. I am recently in the process of applying for a Canadian study permit in the UK. I am a Chinese national. On the document checklist they put IMM5257 as an optional material. I already have a prior V-1 multiple-entry visitor visa that expires in 2027. Do I still need to fill IMM5257 as part of my application? I am asking because I will be abroad for some time and would not be able to submit my passport promptly if the London embassy requires it, and would like to avoid this type of trouble if I could. Many thanks in advance for your guys' help and advice!

Aaru9667

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
Hi, all. I am recently in the process of applying for a Canadian study permit in the UK. I am a Chinese national. On the document checklist they put IMM5257 as an optional material. I already have a prior V-1 multiple-entry visitor visa that expires in 2027. Do I still need to fill IMM5257 as part of my application? I am asking because I will be abroad for some time and would not be able to submit my passport promptly if the London embassy requires it, and would like to avoid this type of trouble if I could. Many thanks in advance for your guys' help and advice!
I'm afraid I do not have the answer but I would include it if I was you. If they require the passport, they will ask you to submit it regardless of the form. The london office is taking a long time to process applications so I wouldn't give them more reason to delay it.
Did you get your visit visa through the London office too?

chizhang504

May 20, 2022
I'm afraid I do not have the answer but I would include it if I was you. If they require the passport, they will ask you to submit it regardless of the form. The london office is taking a long time to process applications so I wouldn't give them more reason to delay it.
Did you get your visit visa through the London office too?
Hi Aaru9667,

Thank you for your reply! I got my tourist visa from the London office as well, and remember it taking something of about 2 months to process. Can I ask how long did it take yours to get processed?

Aaru9667

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
Hi Aaru9667,

Thank you for your reply! I got my tourist visa from the London office as well, and remember it taking something of about 2 months to process. Can I ask how long did it take yours to get processed?
Aha Thanks for that chizhang504, now I know what to expect. I haven't received an update since giving my biometrics on Apr 14th. There are 2 or 3 others who have also applied early April and have not received an update yet.

chizhang504

May 20, 2022
Aha Thanks for that chizhang504, now I know what to expect. I haven't received an update since giving my biometrics on Apr 14th. There are 2 or 3 others who have also applied early April and have not received an update yet.
Hi Aaru9667,

Do you mind me asking something that is slightly off topic? Is it necessary to put in a statement-of-purpose like document in the visa application explaining that you won't stay in Canada after graduation? I see some schools and application helpdesks (not the official IRCC ones) mention that you might be rejected if you don't include such a document, but it is really counter-intuitive to me how saying "yes I will definitely learn all the good stuffs and and then just leave" would actually help the application. All my friends said they didn't need one, but suggested it might be different for a PhD student. I tried emailing the High Commission about it but they refused to give an answer saying it would be unfair to advise how applicants put together materials (which I guess is fair). I wonder if you are aware of this, or could this have been obsolete information?

Aaru9667

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
I have never applied for a study permit to Canada so I'm not the best person to advise. But I have seen many people discuss it on this forum which means they do include it. I have also seen some being rejected based on 'purpose of visit' for which a statement would be really helpful. You are right. Phrase it in an indirect way - without using the words 'I will leave' as though you are trying to convince them.
Maybe something like...
- how this specific phd programme would help you learn the skills and develop the knowledge
- how you can or plan to use this knowledge to help your country
- the sort of career you wish to establish back at home.

chizhang504

May 20, 2022
I have never applied for a study permit to Canada so I'm not the best person to advise. But I have seen many people discuss it on this forum which means they do include it. I have also seen some being rejected based on 'purpose of visit' for which a statement would be really helpful. You are right. Phrase it in an indirect way - without using the words 'I will leave' as though you are trying to convince them.
Maybe something like...
- how this specific phd programme would help you learn the skills and develop the knowledge
- how you can or plan to use this knowledge to help your country
- the sort of career you wish to establish back at home.
So the study plan would have to be orientated towards going back to the home country after finishing? I have concerns because I know someone who has had their UK version of the study permit (ATAS) rejected because he did his undergrad in China (and the field he's applying in is a bit touchy). I am not sure if mentioning going back to China would be a good thing for STEM fields in general, especially in fields expecting breakthroughs in the near future. Realistically, my plan after would be to do a postdoc anywhere in the world (incl. Canada and China) given that the group is a good group. Should I avoid explicitly mentioning my home country and instead focus on the career benefits the PhD will bring? (although this seems to deflect from the purpose which is they are making sure you aren't trying to immigrate through this?)

Aaru9667

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
No it should be focused on your purpose. For eg: if you have a degree and are applying for a diploma, it would seem like you are studying for the sake of the post-study benefits. So in your case, you should highlight how this particular group/phd programme/university fits your purpose. Link it to your background. As in, out of all the options around the world, why do you want to go to Canada and how will this help you. Home country is something you should touch on. If you don't want to be specific about it you can broadly say global society. At the end it's upto you. No one knows what's going to happen at the end of your studies - you just have to show you are open to going back home. That's my opinion on it and by no means is it a professional one. I'd rather be honest and give them all the information they need than only provide the information they want to hear.
There's quite alot of info on the web on the matter. Best to get a more rounded perspective. https://collegedunia.com/canada/article/statement-of-purpose-sop-for-canada

chizhang504

May 20, 2022
No it should be focused on your purpose. For eg: if you have a degree and are applying for a diploma, it would seem like you are studying for the sake of the post-study benefits. So in your case, you should highlight how this particular group/phd programme/university fits your purpose. Link it to your background. As in, out of all the options around the world, why do you want to go to Canada and how will this help you. Home country is something you should touch on. If you don't want to be specific about it you can broadly say global society. At the end it's upto you. No one knows what's going to happen at the end of your studies - you just have to show you are open to going back home. That's my opinion on it and by no means is it a professional one. I'd rather be honest and give them all the information they need than only provide the information they want to hear.
There's quite alot of info on the web on the matter. Best to get a more rounded perspective. https://collegedunia.com/canada/article/statement-of-purpose-sop-for-canada
That sounds like a good plan. Many thanks for your answers, and the links you provided!