+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to stay in Canada while waiting for my Nomination from Ontario

Agent_47_0

Jan 6, 2024
Hello everyone,

I've recently graduated from a Ph.D. program from one of the universities in Ontario. I have also applied and received my PGWP. I have submitted an application for nomination through the Ontario Ph.D. graduate stream and my application is currently in the pool.

My question is: Do I need to remain in Canada while waiting for the nomination? Or can I go to my home country and wait for Ontario to issue my nomination once my application is selected?

This link (https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-phd-graduate-stream) lists the requirements to receive a nomination under this stream, I cannot find any requirement that I must be living in Canada while applying. Having said that, I was living in Ontario for 4 years during my studies.

Thus, particularly, since I received my valid PGWP (+10 points) and I have legally lived in Ontario for at least one year in the past two years before I applied, is there any reason for me not to go back to my home country and wait for the nomination?

Further, if I receive a nomination, can I also apply for the PR through the provincial nominee program while I am also in my home country?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Well there is no outright wording that you must be in Canada to apply under the PhD stream. However, if you read carefully, you run the risk of losing points in some areas. example, It says that you should have a valid work or study permit for 10 points. Even if your work permit is still valid, it begs the question why are you not in the province demonstrating your intention by working. You must have a very good reason why you would abandon the time left on the work permit to go home. So its an overall question of your intention to live in the province post PR. You are not studying, you abandoned the work permit, you are not seeking employment in the province and you are not residing in the province (rental lease). All these are potential strikes against your nomination.

Agent_47_0

Jan 6, 2024
Well there is no outright wording that you must be in Canada to apply under the PhD stream. However, if you read carefully, you run the risk of losing points in some areas. example, It says that you should have a valid work or study permit for 10 points. Even if your work permit is still valid, it begs the question why are you not in the province demonstrating your intention by working. You must have a very good reason why you would abandon the time left on the work permit to go home. So its an overall question of your intention to live in the province post PR. You are not studying, you abandoned the work permit, you are not seeking employment in the province and you are not residing in the province (rental lease). All these are potential strikes against your nomination.
I see. What about if I will be working in Ontario until I receive the nomination, can I then leave to my home country while waiting for the PR through the provincial nominee program?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
I see. What about if I will be working in Ontario until I receive the nomination, can I then leave to my home country while waiting for the PR through the provincial nominee program?
Again this route could alter your intentions. You are working and residing in the province, everything looks good so they gave you the nomination. Then you turn around and voluntarily leave your work and the country. Like I said before, you best have a very good reason to tell them because after getting the nomination YOU MUST inform the province office of all changes (work, study, address, marriage, etc).