+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to renewmy PR ?

akhalighi

Apr 27, 2008
I am an immigrant , being here almost 3 years in a row , I'll be eligible for citizenship on OCT ,25 and my PR will be expired one month later on NOV 2008 . Do I need to renew my PR as part of my citizenship requirement ? does it have ant affect on my job if my PR gets expired ?

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I hope this page helps. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#status

If your permanent residency status expires, you cannot legally work in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rgvinson777 said:
I hope this page helps. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#status

If your permanent residency status expires, you cannot legally work in Canada.
The expiry of a PR card has no effect on a Persons status in Canada or their ability to work, they are still a PR.

PMM

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Thanks for correcting me PMM. Will you explain further? A person can still legally work when they become out of PR status?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rgvinson777 said:
Thanks for correcting me PMM. Will you explain further? A person can still legally work when they become out of PR status?
As long as Permanent Resident maintains their PR status in that they have resided in Canada for 2 years in every 5, they are a Permanent Resident. There is no requirement in law that they have a valid PR card, all it is, is proof that they are/were permanent residents. If they are reported by CBSA as no longer being a permanent resident, ie insufficient residency, criminality and are ordered removed from Canada, they can no longer work in Canada.

PMM

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Oh I see. So the extension or renewal of the PR CARD is only about the card, about being proof of the Resdiency, NOT THE PERMANENT RESIDENCY itself that we are trying to Extend. Thanks for clarifying that. The alternative was scary!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only problem of being without a valid PR card is if you suddenly have to leave Canada, for example because there is a family emergency, you might have problems getting back in. It's up to you if you renew PR card or not but it's not a big deal. Costs you $50 and photos and a bit of paperwork. Immigration lists the average processing time for citizenship as 13 months. For me, I am 10 days away from my citizenship ceremony and by then it will have taken almost 30 months.