+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I NEED to renew my TRV?

vnkieu

Nov 5, 2015
Hi there everyone,

I'm an international student from Vietnam. My original study permit and trv expires at the beginning of December this year.
I got my study permit renewed, and since I was planning to visit Vietnam for the holidays, applied to renew my TRV shortly after.
Unfortunately, I applied online and for the past few days did not keep up with my application. The CIC sent me a letter a few weeks ago telling me to send my passport in to finalize the application. If I don't do it within 30 days, my application could get denied.

There's only a few days left until that deadline, and I'm having trouble finding my passport. I'm afraid it won't get there in time.
Assuming my application gets denied because of this, will this affect my being able to stay in Canada? I still have my renewed study permit but I'm still unsure.
Is the TRV renewal only needed in case you decide to travel and re-enter Canada?

ysoooslow

Oct 30, 2015
almost in the same situation, except my application for the study permit is still stuck in the queue..... T.T

but see this post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/do-i-need-to-renew-my-trv-if-i-want-to-travel-to-the-us-t375960.0.html

i would call just to confirm tho... coz the staff working at the airport may not even let u get on the plane with an expired visa

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vnkieu said:
Hi there everyone,

I'm an international student from Vietnam. My original study permit and trv expires at the beginning of December this year.
I got my study permit renewed, and since I was planning to visit Vietnam for the holidays, applied to renew my TRV shortly after.
Unfortunately, I applied online and for the past few days did not keep up with my application. The CIC sent me a letter a few weeks ago telling me to send my passport in to finalize the application. If I don't do it within 30 days, my application could get denied.

There's only a few days left until that deadline, and I'm having trouble finding my passport. I'm afraid it won't get there in time.
Assuming my application gets denied because of this, will this affect my being able to stay in Canada? I still have my renewed study permit but I'm still unsure.
Is the TRV renewal only needed in case you decide to travel and re-enter Canada?
1. As long as you have a valid study permit you can remain in Canada, but if you leave, you will need a new TRV to re-enter.