+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to have an address in Canada ..

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi! Do I need to have an address in Canada when I apply for the citizenship, or I can put my address abroad? Do they send any important documents over the mail in case I put the address of some I know in Canada? Thanks in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi! Do I need to have an address in Canada when I apply for the citizenship, or I can put my address abroad? Do they send any important documents over the mail in case I put the address of some I know in Canada? Thanks in advance
I do not know the impact of having a non-Canadian address while the application is pending, other than what is addressed at length in other topics regarding the logistical risks attendant living abroad while an application is pending, and the risk of this inviting elevated scrutiny (for obvious reasons). Nor can I anticipate what impact the upcoming Federal election might have (when the Conservatives last formed the government, in addition to adopting an intent to CONTINUE residing in Canada requirement, they otherwise appeared to deliberately stall processing citizenship applications for some applicants identified as having moved abroad).

There are a number of anecdotal reports from recent applicants who encountered no problems despite living abroad after applying. Few authoring those reports reveal how they approached providing address information to IRCC.

However, be aware that the application form requires applicants to provide accurate and truthful information under penalty of criminal law as well as potential consequences under the Citizenship Act (not the least of which is the fact that misrepresentations will allow revocation of citizenship FOREVER . . . and indeed, revocation proceedings have been pursued as much as forty or even fifty years later). And to promptly notify IRCC of changes (such as change residential address).

Applicants have NO leeway in providing their current residential address or in providing their address history. This information MUST be based on the individual's actual place of residence. Applicants cannot just use someone else's address. (Which is not to say that this is not done; it is probably done rather often, with mixed results, ranging from no impact, such as IRCC apparently not noticing the fraud, to cases in which consequences for fraud are imposed; that is, many getting away with it, many not getting away with it.)

Applicants have wide leeway in providing a mailing address. The only qualification is that the applicant will, of course, be responsible for any notice or request sent to that mailing address. However, it appears that IRCC will not always use the mailing address for some communications (a somewhat common example: neither renewed PR cards nor notice to pick up card in person, will be mailed to a mailing address, only the PR's residential address, recognizing of course that some PRs risk the consequences for fraud and misrepresent what is their actual residential address).

Reactions: carl321

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
You went too far in your reply. I have no intent to lie or to make any fraud. I merely asked the question if I am leaving Canada after applying for personal reasons, what address should I put: my address abroad, or I must have an address in Canada while my application is being processed. I will meet the requirement for the citizenship soon after staying in Canada for 8 years, and thus I am applying for the citizenship. What they decide is up to them. I have my reasons to leave Canada temporarily, and if they ask why I will tell them the truth. That's all. FYI, I haven't applied yet, so I am asking ahead of time to know what to do when the time comes.

Last edited:

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
You went too far in your reply. I have no intent to lie or to make any fraud. I merely asked the question if I am leaving Canada after applying for personal reasons, what address should I put. My address abroad, or I must have an address in Canada while my application is being processed. That's all. FYI, I haven't applied yet, so I am asking ahead of time to know what to do when the time comes.
I'm sure dpenabill was being helpful and trying to cover all bases.
The answer to your question can also be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

If they do return your application for whatever reason, it will be to a Canadian address only, as Canada Post does not forward mail packages and a citizenship application is considered a package. So your incomplete application will be returned back to IRCC and not be processed.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I'm sure dpenabill was being helpful and trying to cover all bases.
The answer to your question can also be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

If they do return your application for whatever reason, it will be to a Canadian address only, as Canada Post does not forward mail packages and a citizenship application is considered a package. So your incomplete application will be returned back to IRCC and not be processed.
I felt dpenabill made the assumption that I am going to do a fraud to get my citizenship, and that giving others' address is not acceptable and a fraud!!

The link you provided says IRCC only send documents to addresses in Canada, while saying you can leave after applying. This implies that I can provide the physical address of someone I know in Canada, doesn't it?

Has any one encountered a similar situation?

alienzz-00

Star Member
May 8, 2019
dpenabill's answers have always been detailed and try to cover all bases for the OP and anyone who uses this website for answers covering all aspects of an issue and I have definitely learned so much from his quiet detailed posts on this forum. They usually go into way more detail that what OPs expect and that's to provide knowledge for others, so don't take it personally.

On the application you can list separate residential and mailing addresses. Regarding residential address you should list where you actually live, as for mailing address that anywhere where you want your mail to arrive. If you provide an email then most if not all correspondence will be via email. Not sure what the impact of residing outside Canada would be.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Reactions: k300k3

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I believe there was a misunderstanding that dpenabill thought maybe I want to give the illusion in my application that I am living in Canada while I am not. It's not the case. I know they will check my original passport in the interview, and no one can hide the fact they left. I just wanted to know in case they mail anything back, where to receive the mail. I know everything if my file is opened will be via email. So, this address will be merely in case they returned the application as sydcarton said, or if they send any document via mail that they don't send by email. I think the mailing address versus the residential address solves the issue. I don't know either what effect residing outside Canada will have on my application. All I know is I meet the requirements, and then I HAVE to leave temporarily.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I believe there was a misunderstanding that dpenabill thought maybe I want to give the illusion in my application that I am living in Canada while I am not.
You can read my posts literally. No need to try reading my mind. My intentions are straight forward: to inform as best I can.

I made no attempt to read your mind or apprehend your intentions, but rather covered the contexts in which an applicant provides address information in the application.

Your query was framed "in case I put the address of some I know in Canada?"

While that is OK if the address is designated a "mailing address," otherwise to provide the address of someone else as your address is, simply, fraud . . . unless that is in fact your actual place of residence, your domicile (in which case it would not be "the address of some I know in Canada," but rather it would be YOUR address).

Not complicated. No accusation necessary, or intended, or implied. Just a clarification that providing information in the citizenship application (and notifying IRCC of changes) demands a more stringent approach than how many of us will casually approach similar questions in other contexts. Make no mistake, it appears that many applicants do something like this. And many encounter no problem. But there are risks. Misrepresentations made in the citizenship application process can have rather serious consequences. Any response to a query about using "the address of some I know in Canada" would be grossly misleading if it did not include a caution about the potential consequences for making misrepresentations.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yes, I meant the mailing address, not the residential address. I don't need to fake my residential address as I meet the requirements as stated by immigration Canada. I don't need to fake my resident because it's not required to stay in Canada after meeting the requirements and applying. What happens to my application because I left or because another government will come and change the rule is not in my control. I will apply and see what happens. If nothing changes, theoretically everything should be OK, if anything changes, well, ...

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I have another question: At the time I will apply I will be in Canada. I will leave about two months after applying. In this case, can I put the residential address in Canada when I submit my application, and later I update the residential address after they open my file, while keeping the mailing address in Canada?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I have another question: At the time I will apply I will be in Canada. I will leave about two months after applying. In this case, can I put the residential address in Canada when I submit my application, and later I update the residential address after they open my file, while keeping the mailing address in Canada?
Any updates ?