+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO I NEED TO DO THE FBI BACKGROUND CHECK BEFORE SENDING ALL MY DOCUMENTS FOR PR

cynti

May 20, 2012
Hello Everyone

I am filling out all the paperwork for the permanent resident card and I am just seeing that I need to do a FBI background check. When I looked at the FBI website, they said that it can take 8 weeks.
Do you think I can send all the documents without the FBI background check? If anyone did the background, how long did it take for the FBI to send all the results.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone :D

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you haven't applied yet, are you aware that all the caps are full (unless you are in the PhD stream - see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/complete-applications.asp) so if you send off the request to the FBI soon you may just have a full app ready for submission when the new Ministerial Orders are issued for July (recent reports indicate that they are replying in about 6-8 weeks these days)

CIC currently encourages applicants to submit their police certificates upfront with their application to CPC-S and otherwise advises you that they expect it will be ready and valid (CIC wants to receive them within 3 months of the date on the document) when they ask you for it. Historically, they have mandated that it be submitted upfront and we don't know what the new instructions for July will be so I would encourage you to try to get it now if you can to have it ready.

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
You are not required to submit FBI clearance at time of application. You are encouraged to do so, but it is not a requirement. All caps are full this year so I suppose you plan to apply in July?

Rod

cynti

May 20, 2012
Hello thebeast184 and OhCanadiana

Thank you very much for the replies. I was not aware that all the CAPS were full until I read your replies and I thought that once they send your CSQ, you were good to go. I will definitely wait until July to send my paperwork.
Thanks again

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cynti said:
Hello thebeast184 and OhCanadiana

Thank you very much for the replies. I was not aware that all the CAPS were full until I read your replies and I thought that once they send your CSQ, you were good to go. I will definitely wait until July to send my paperwork.
Thanks again
Oh! I'm glad you mentioned the CSQ. The caps we mentioned are for federal immigration (thebeast184 probably similarly assumed you were applying for federal immigration since you posted in the skilled worker / professional immigration thread).

Different rules apply for provincial immigration (and I don't believe the caps apply since you have a CSQ and are provincially nominated). I would suggest you move over to the Provincial Nomination Program threads and, specifically, the Quebec program at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/quebec-immigration-skilled-worker-program-t60764.0.html since most of the info here won't apply to you and more people will be able to help you and more of their experiences will apply to you there.

I'm glad we were able to clear this up and avoid unnecessary delays - good luck with your application :)