+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to declare all work experience when applying?

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
Hi.

I got a question. Here's my work history:

#1. Company 1:
5 months but paid work

#2. Company 2:
6 months but unpaid

#3. Company 3:
1 year and paid.

Do I need to declare #1 and #2 or is it enough if I just mention #3? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I can get reference letters for #1 and #2.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
By 'declare' I'm assuming you mean putting it in your Work History section and providing a letter?

If you are claiming any points for this work experience then the answer is yes.

If you're not claiming points then you just put it in your personal history and don't have to provide any documents for it.

Raj69

Oct 28, 2022
By 'declare' I'm assuming you mean putting it in your Work History section and providing a letter?

If you are claiming any points for this work experience then the answer is yes.

If you're not claiming points then you just put it in your personal history and don't have to provide any documents for it.
Yes.

Thank you. That's what I was concerned about. Is there any official source that says we don't have to. I'm just a little concerned.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
Yes.

Thank you. That's what I was concerned about. Is there any official source that says we don't have to. I'm just a little concerned.
Here you go (scroll down to Proof of Work Experience section):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

It says that the purpose is 'To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements'
So if you're not claiming points or it is not part of the minimum work experience required to be eligible for the programme you're applying for, then you don't need to provide any documents - just put it in your personal history.

This is also what an immigration lawyer told me when he looked at my application prior to ITA - I had everything listed in my work history and the same for my wife. He told me to remove everything except my current job (more than 6 years in the same role and the only work experience that was relevant in terms of eligibility and points). I did as advised and had no issues with my application.