+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need student visa to enter Canada? (COVID Q)

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I booked a flight to Ontario but haven't yet applied for a study permit. I'm a US citizen and have an acceptance letter from the school I plan to attend; will I be allowed in with just my regular documents and the acceptance letter/intent to attend (in relation to COVID restrictions on entry)?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply! Does this currently apply with all of the COVID related restrictions?
When do you plan to travel? Right now only essential travel is allowed. This has been extended to end of July but could be extended further.

Simply visiting is not classified as essential. So if you try to travel as a visitor while the travel restrictions are in place, you should expect issues. While the travel restrictions are in place, you would need to be holding a valid study permit to be allowed to come to Canada.

Normally U.S. citizens can submit a study permit application at the border. However this has been halted due to COVID-19. This means you have to apply online for the study permit and get the study permit approved in advance of attempting to travel to Canada.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
When do you plan to travel? Right now only essential travel is allowed. This has been extended to end of July but could be extended further.

Simply visiting is not classified as essential. So if you try to travel as a visitor while the travel restrictions are in place, you should expect issues. While the travel restrictions are in place, you would need to be holding a valid study permit to be allowed to come to Canada.

Normally U.S. citizens can submit a study permit application at the border. However this has been halted due to COVID-19. This means you have to apply online for the study permit and get the study permit approved in advance of attempting to travel to Canada.
Gotcha. Yes, my question was about being allowed in while my permit request processes. Technically I wouldn’t be entering for a non-essential reason; I’m booked to be flying in August to attend school, which I know is part of “essential travel” but since permit processing times are quite long, I wasn’t sure if I’d receive it in time before trying to fly in.

Not sure if that changes your answer at all. I’m aware of the travel ban extension into late July but if August comes around and they extend once again, it sounds like i wouldn’t be able to enter with my travel docs and admission letter, plus the fact that (by then I will have applied for the permit - im having technical trouble which is why I haven’t yet) my application will be processing.

My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and currently living where I am headed, and I have a travel/quarantine plan, but I just wanted to know if being a student from the US would be enough ground to enter without the official permit.

I know much of it is up in the air, but I was wondering about the process as the restrictions currently stand.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gotcha. Yes, my question was about being allowed in while my permit request processes. Technically I wouldn’t be entering for a non-essential reason; I’m booked to be flying in August to attend school, which I know is part of “essential travel” but since permit processing times are quite long, I wasn’t sure if I’d receive it in time before trying to fly in.

Not sure if that changes your answer at all. I’m aware of the travel ban extension into late July but if August comes around and they extend once again, it sounds like i wouldn’t be able to enter with my travel docs and admission letter, plus the fact that (by then I will have applied for the permit - im having technical trouble which is why I haven’t yet) my application will be processing.

My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen and I have a travel/quarantine plan, but I just wanted to know if being a student from the US would be enough ground to enter without the official permit.

I know much of it is up in the air, but I was wondering about the process as the restrictions currently stand.
It's really hard to say and will ultimately be up to CBSA (i.e. you won't know what's going to happen until you try).

IMO it's going to be a pretty big gamble to try to enter without the study permit. I would apply for one online asap.

Without a valid study permit, you can't actually start your studies. And unless things change by August, applying for one at the border won't be possible. So you'll basically be asking CBSA to let you enter Canada as a visitor with the intent to study although you don't possess a visa that allows you to legally study.

Having a boyfriend who is a Canadian citizen isn't relevant. Simply coming up to see him is a non-essential reason for travel.

Reactions: k.h.p.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
It's really hard to say and will ultimately be up to CBSA (i.e. you won't know what's going to happen until you try).

IMO it's going to be a pretty big gamble to try to enter without the study permit. I would apply for one online asap.

Without a valid study permit, you can't actually start your studies. And unless things change by August, applying for one at the border won't be possible. So you'll basically be asking CBSA to let you enter Canada as a visitor with the intent to study although you don't possess a visa that allows you to legally study.

Having a boyfriend who is a Canadian citizen isn't relevant. Simply coming up to see him is a non-essential reason for travel.
I see. So based on what I'm reading, it's a hard maybe but more likely not. Thanks for the info! Not sure what to do about the tech difficulties for the application, but hopefully will get some tech support.

I just mentioned the bf thing as part of my travel plan, not because I intend to enter to see him. If I end up not getting my study permit before school starts but the classes are online, will I still need to have a study permit?

No worries if you don't have the answer to that. Just trying to understand exactly what my options are because they aren't looking good.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see. So based on what I'm reading, it's a hard maybe but more likely not. Thanks for the info! Not sure what to do about the tech difficulties for the application, but hopefully will get some tech support.

I just mentioned the bf thing as part of my travel plan, not because I intend to enter to see him. If I end up not getting my study permit before school starts but the classes are online, will I still need to have a study permit?

No worries if you don't have the answer to that. Just trying to understand exactly what my options are because they aren't looking good.
Yes - you need a study permit for online studies from within Canada.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019

You won't need a study permit to take online classes from the US, but you should still apply for one right away.

I also doubt you will be allowed into Canada. Immigration services are not being provided at ports of entry, and you're not travelling for an essential purpose.

Furthermore, even with a study permit, you might not be allowed in until travel restrictions are lifted, as right now only those issued before March 18 grant entry to Canada.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
You won't need a study permit to take online classes from the US, but you should still apply for one right away.

I also doubt you will be allowed into Canada. Immigration services are not being provided at ports of entry, and you're not travelling for an essential purpose.

Furthermore, even with a study permit, you might not be allowed in until travel restrictions are lifted, as right now only those issued before March 18 grant entry to Canada.
Thanks for the info! I guess the proper things to do now are 1. get my application in asap and 2. wait and see...

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018

The last part doesn't apply to those who arrive from the US. For those who arrive from other countries than the US, they need to 1) be exempted and 2) essential travel, but those from the US only need 1) essential travel.

IRCC has started processing the study permit, and if you get it before you travel, I think it should be fine

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
The last part doesn't apply to those who arrive from the US. For those who arrive from other countries than the US, they need to 1) be exempted and 2) essential travel, but those from the US only need 1) essential travel.

IRCC has started processing the study permit, and if you get it before you travel, I think it should be fine
Yeah, I haven’t yet applied though, so that’s where I’m finding this all a bit precarious. Unless by some miracle they both A. accept my application once I submit (esp. since currently I only have $10K CAD without tuition - i would hope they consider the impact of COVID financially but imagine that if anything they want people to be more financially stable than not...) and B. they process it within a month, I’m a bit skeptical I’ll be allowed in.

The greatest miracle would be a lift on the ban in August, but based on how we’re handling the situation, who knows?

sticking with hope and patience now...

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019

Yes, but CBSA knows classes are online and there is no need to be in Canada, especially if the student is new and doesn't have e.g. a Canadian apartment lease or part-time job they're heading back to.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Yes, but CBSA knows classes are online and there is no need to be in Canada, especially if the student is new and doesn't have e.g. a Canadian apartment lease or part-time job they're heading back to.
makes me wonder if signing a lease would help my chances...I think that’s a real option for me.

my university has publicly decided to move forward with a hybrid semester and my program is small enough (~10ppl) that I’m thinking many of my classes will be in person.

Don’t know if that helps my case at all though.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
makes me wonder if signing a lease would help my chances...I think that’s a real option for me.

my university has publicly decided to move forward with a hybrid semester and my program is small enough (~10ppl) that I’m thinking many of my classes will be in person.

Don’t know if that helps my case at all though.
Signing a lease won't help.

What's most important in your study permit application is demonstrating that you have sufficient funds (i.e. first year tuition + $10K). If you only have $10K, the application isn't going to be approved. You really need to have the full amount or there's no point applying now and you should defer your studies and move to Canada to a later date.