+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need PRTD for road crossing from US?

coolbreeze

Star Member
Apr 9, 2011
NEW DELHI, INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
aug. 2011
LANDED..........
nov. 2011
I landed last month and returned to India this month. If I need to go back in case of PR card picture problems,
will my COPR copy stapled in my passport work for land crossing from US to canada? Or will I need a PR Travel doc? I have a visitor visa to the US.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
coolbreeze said:
I landed last month and returned to India this month. If I need to go back in case of PR card picture problems,
will my COPR copy stapled in my passport work for land crossing from US to canada? Or will I need a PR Travel doc? I have a visitor visa to the US.
If u r driving -- u don't require the PRCs -- the COPR & pps suffice.

coolbreeze

Star Member
Apr 9, 2011
NEW DELHI, INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
aug. 2011
LANDED..........
nov. 2011
qorax said:
If u r driving -- u don't require the PRCs -- the COPR & pps suffice.
QORAX,

I just looked at the CIC website also, and it says that

COPR, RECORD OF LANDING AND RETURNING RESIDENT PERMIT are NOT valid for travel back to canada.
You need a PR card or a Travel Document to travel by plane . train , bus or boat.

I am sorry Qorax,could you point me to the place where it says that PRC or travel document is not required if traveling by road?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
coolbreeze said:
QORAX,

COPR, RECORD OF LANDING AND RETURNING RESIDENT PERMIT are NOT valid for travel back to canada.
You need a PR card or a Travel Document to travel by plane . train , bus or boat.

I am sorry Qorax,could you point me to the place where it says that PRC or travel document is not required if traveling by road?
1. Pls scroll thru the CBSA site.
2. Take my word for it !

anilch

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2011
Doc's Request.
sent along with the application
IELTS Request
sent along with the application
coolbreeze said:
QORAX,

Do I require a Permanent Resident Card if I’m returning to Canada by car?
Do I require a Permanent Resident Card if I’m returning to Canada by car?
No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:

a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.
The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.
reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/index.asp
http://settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000607