+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do I need ielts ?

kami686

May 9, 2011
Lahore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do i need IELTS for student permit? I have a letter from my University that my all education and exams was held in English?

Ali_abid

May 17, 2011
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Feb-2011
Med's Request
15-April-2011
Med's Done....
15-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
19th MAY 2011
LANDED..........
21st May 2011
yup ielts compulsory, band requirmnt is acordin to the program o study n university rulz .

kami686

May 9, 2011
Lahore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i got admision in LsBF, they accept my uni english letter and waive the ielts, i m asking for embassy do they need ielts?

maan2010

Jul 31, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Request
01-June-2011
Med's Done....
03-June-2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
11-August-2011(Stamped on August 5, 2011)
LANDED..........
4-September-2011(Insha'Allah)
kami686 said:
i got admision in LsBF, they accept my uni english letter and waive the ielts, i m asking for embassy do they need ielts?
Hi Kami

Just go ahead and apply for the Study Permit. If the institute don't hv any prblm regarding admission then y embassy?

Ans: u don't need IELTS.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maan2010 said:
Hi Kami

Just go ahead and apply for the Study Permit. If the institute don't hv any prblm regarding admission then y embassy?

Ans: u don't need IELTS.
Hi Maan, Kami;

CHC recommends IELTS with the visa application even though it is not required by the University. This gives them confidence of English communication skills of the applicant.

They (VO) said they do not prefer TOEFL due to a number of reasons and strongly recommend IELTS score, preferably above 6.5.

I heard this piece of information from a Visa Officer in a seminar held by CHC, New Delhi.

- GS

maan2010

Jul 31, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Request
01-June-2011
Med's Done....
03-June-2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
GS_Stud said:
Hi Maan, Kami;

CHC recommends IELTS with the visa application even though it is not required by the University. This gives them confidence of English communication skills of the applicant.

They (VO) said they do not prefer TOEFL due to a number of reasons and strongly recommend IELTS score, preferably above 6.5.

I heard this piece of information from a Visa Officer in a seminar held by CHC, New Delhi.

- GS
Thank u so much GS 4 d info...But I know many students who got their Study Permit without IELTS.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maan2010 said:
Thank u so much GS 4 d info...But I know many students who got their Study Permit without IELTS.
Hi Maan,

Some people asked in the seminar (question to VO) that they had TOEFL score, and have GRE/SAT/GMAT score as well, and have received admission in a good university. Do they still need to take IELTS?

VO answer was "No, its not required then. If you have a higher exam scores (say SAT, GRE, GMAT) and have secured in a good university, then you don't require IELTS. However, very few people send us advanced test score so the guideline of IELTS applies to majority applications." He (VO) even went to an extent by saying "If you have to apply for Canadian Visa, IELTS is the way to go. We do not encourage TOEFL score submission."

My take is that if you are submitting a higher test score, and have received admission in a reputed University, IELTS is not required.

Of course, I completely agree that people might have received Visa without IELTS or any higher test score. Our attempt should be to make out application strong, and IELTS definitely adds to it.

GS

precious2011

Star Member
May 7, 2011
Maan and GS,
You both are right at your end, in INDIA IELTS is compulsary, but i e-maild to islamabad canadian high commission and ask the same query they replied me i am pasting the e-mail,wt here you go

Dear Client,
Please be advised that TOEFL or IELTS is not a requirement to submit an application for a study permit.
For more information on studying in Canada please visit:
Regards,

Immigration Section
Canadian High Commission, Islamabad
P.O. Box 1042, Islamabad, Pakistan

maan2010

Jul 31, 2010
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Request
01-June-2011
Med's Done....
03-June-2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
precious2011 said:
Maan and GS,
You both are right at your end, in INDIA IELTS is compulsary, but i e-maild to islamabad canadian high commission and ask the same query they replied me i am pasting the e-mail,wt here you go

Dear Client,
Please be advised that TOEFL or IELTS is not a requirement to submit an application for a study permit.
Regards,

Immigration Section
GS_Stud said:
Hi Maan,

Some people asked in the seminar (question to VO) that they had TOEFL score, and have GRE/SAT/GMAT score as well, and have received admission in a good university. Do they still need to take IELTS?

VO answer was "No, its not required then. If you have a higher exam scores (say SAT, GRE, GMAT) and have secured in a good university, then you don't require IELTS. However, very few people send us advanced test score so the guideline of IELTS applies to majority applications." He (VO) even went to an extent by saying "If you have to apply for Canadian Visa, IELTS is the way to go. We do not encourage TOEFL score submission."

My take is that if you are submitting a higher test score, and have received admission in a reputed University, IELTS is not required.

Of course, I completely agree that people might have received Visa without IELTS or any higher test score. Our attempt should be to make out application strong, and IELTS definitely adds to it.

GS
thanks for the info GS.

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
precious2011 said:
Maan and GS,

Dear Client,
Regards,

Immigration Section
Hi,

Even in India, there is no 'requirement' of submitting IELTS score. However, if you see the general checklist, IELTS score are mentioned in the "strongly recommended" category, same as bank statement etc.

From what I've observed, strongly recommended usually means must have in terms of Visa application.

GS

snake

Feb 10, 2011
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy -Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Bangladesh its not a mandatory doc to the embassy but they prefer it. Because it shows that you are a bona fide student and going to Canada to study, not like going there and run away :)

precious2011

Star Member
May 7, 2011
@gs
if you have the checklist in your hand right now you can see it is written IELTS/TOEFL (if applicable) strongly recommended. IF APPLICABLE ;D