+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need file 2020 tax in CAnada?

hoyeshi

Aug 21, 2020
Hello guys, I need your inputs regarding my case. june 2019-june 2020, I was working fulltime in US under TN visa. after my contract ended. I went back to canada after. June 2020-Nov 2020 I was in canada. Nov 2020- april 2021, I went home to my home country. I came back to Canada may 2021. I got another job offer in the US and might move again june 2021. My question is, Do I need to file taxes in Canada? I dont have any investments or properties. I only have bank accouts and a car.
I went to my Accountant today to file taxes but he said I dont have to. I just want to make it clear so I dont have any problems in the future.

Thank you in Advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello guys, I need your inputs regarding my case. june 2019-june 2020, I was working fulltime in US under TN visa. after my contract ended. I went back to canada after. June 2020-Nov 2020 I was in canada. Nov 2020- april 2021, I went home to my home country. I came back to Canada may 2021. I got another job offer in the US and might move again june 2021. My question is, Do I need to file taxes in Canada? I dont have any investments or properties. I only have bank accouts and a car.
I went to my Accountant today to file taxes but he said I dont have to. I just want to make it clear so I dont have any problems in the future.

Thank you in Advance!
You need to contact CRA to determine if you were a tax resident in 2020. Only they can determine if you are a tax resident. if so, you’ll need to file your taxes. Assume you filed taxes for 2019. Given all the travel there is a good chance that you no longer qualify for healthcare even if you have a valid health card. You can be asked to repay any health services if it is discovered that you hadn’t met the RO doe i ally for your provincial health plan. You will also likely have to reapply if you return to Canada and plan on remaining here.

hoyeshi

Aug 21, 2020
You need to contact CRA to determine if you were a tax resident in 2020. Only they can determine if you are a tax resident. if so, you’ll need to file your taxes. Assume you filed taxes for 2019. Given all the travel there is a good chance that you no longer qualify for healthcare even if you have a valid health card. You can be asked to repay any health services if it is discovered that you hadn’t met the RO doe i ally for your provincial health plan. You will also likely have to reapply if you return to Canada and plan on remaining here.

Thank you for your reply. I also read that if you were outside canada more than 183 days, you dont need to file. For tax year 2020, I only stayed in canada for about 4 months. I still have my valid healthcard.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I also read that if you were outside canada more than 183 days, you dont need to file. For tax year 2020, I only stayed in canada for about 4 months. I still have my valid healthcard.
That isn't correct. You can be out of Canada and still be a resident for tax purposes. Only CRA can determine your residency status which is why you must contact them. A health card that is not expired does not mean you qualify for free healthcare. Every provincial healthcare programs have residency obligations to receive healthcare. Once you fail to meet those ROs you need to reapply for your health card and start again. Would suggest you read the section on time in Canada to maintain your access to healthcare. If you don't meet the requirements and use provincial healthcare you could be asked to repay the costs.

Reactions: Naheulbeuck

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
That isn't correct. You can be out of Canada and still be a resident for tax purposes. Only CRA can determine your residency status which is why you must contact them. A health card that is not expired does not mean you qualify for free healthcare. Every provincial healthcare programs have residency obligations to receive healthcare. Once you fail to meet those ROs you need to reapply for your health card and start again. Would suggest you read the section on time in Canada to maintain your access to healthcare. If you don't meet the requirements and use provincial healthcare you could be asked to repay the costs.

I'll just reinforce this. From your older posts, it looks like you had investments and property in Canada while you were away which tends to be considered as ties for Tax residence. It is impossible based on the little information provided to tell you if you were considered a tax resident of Canada by CRA (or will later once they take a look back) but the 183 days is actually secondary to the ties so if you had any tie to Canada (property, even if you rented it, investment accounts, family members, see other posts for the full list), the best course of action is to actually call CRA to determine your tax status and from that the rest will be easy.

Reactions: canuck78

hoyeshi

Aug 21, 2020
I'll just reinforce this. From your older posts, it looks like you had investments and property in Canada while you were away which tends to be considered as ties for Tax residence. It is impossible based on the little information provided to tell you if you were considered a tax resident of Canada by CRA (or will later once they take a look back) but the 183 days is actually secondary to the ties so if you had any tie to Canada (property, even if you rented it, investment accounts, family members, see other posts for the full list), the best course of action is to actually call CRA to determine your tax status and from that the rest will be easy.

Hello, I don't have any properties or Investments in Canada. But I keep my bank accounts here.I keep my bank accounts.