+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need FBI clearance?

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
I did soft landing in Oct 2019 and moved back to states. I moved to Canada permanently in Jan 2021 and will be eligible for citizenship in the next few weeks. I see the followibg on the physcial calculator website - "During the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application, if you spent 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18) in a country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate from each country. If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate."

If I apply for citizenship lets say next month, will I need FBI clearance from the US or since I came from the country of origin, I don't need to provide one? If it feels like I need to since I went back after becoming PR but hoping if someone can confirm.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I did soft landing in Oct 2019 and moved back to states. I moved to Canada permanently in Jan 2021 and will be eligible for citizenship in the next few weeks. I see the followibg on the physcial calculator website - "During the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application, if you spent 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18) in a country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate from each country. If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate."

If I apply for citizenship lets say next month, will I need FBI clearance from the US or since I came from the country of origin, I don't need to provide one? If it feels like I need to since I went back after becoming PR but hoping if someone can confirm.
As you went after PR, you have to. Before PR you need not.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

See the following examples to help you answer this question.

Example 1
You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

Example 2
You became a permanent resident 3 years and 9 months ago. In the past 4 years, you lived in Brazil for 3 months (90 days) before you became a permanent resident and you returned to Brazil to visit family for 4 months (120 days) after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from Brazil because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in Brazil.

Example 3
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.

Example 4
In the past 4 years, you traveled to Singapore four times for work. The first trip was for 30 days; the second trip was for 200 days; the third trip was for 60 days; and the fourth trip was for 120 days. While in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore because your second trip was more than 183 days in a row. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.

Example 5
In the past 4 years, you took 1 trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more in a row. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

Reactions: northern sunshine

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Thank you.
So if I decide not to apply now and wait for a few more months such that I would be outside of Canada for lets says 180 days or less within the last 4 years, would I still need police clearance certificate?