+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i need ECA for each degree i have?

jriverac

Jan 6, 2017
Read all the comments。。。still dont know the conclusion...
You only need your highest degree evaluated. ECA is required for two purposes only (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp):
a) FSWP eligibility
b) CRS points

In a) you need an ECA for your highest degree in order to get the highest possible score (over 100 points).
in b) you also need only the highest degree assessed as stated by CIC here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=991&top=29

"To get the most points possible for your education under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you should get your highest degree, diploma or certificate assessed (PhD, MA, BA)"

The only exception is where the combination of two degrees gives you more points than the highest degree and you want to claim this higher score. But as CIC states: "You must submit an ECA for all levels of completed foreign education you want us to consider. It is up to you to decide which credentials to have assessed".

Also read here (Q6): http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-getting-your-educational-credentials-assessed.408311/

Reactions: Chenna_g

rickyhanzhang

Star Member
May 13, 2017
You only need your highest degree evaluated. ECA is required for two purposes only (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp):
a) FSWP eligibility
b) CRS points

In a) you need an ECA for your highest degree in order to get the highest possible score (over 100 points).
in b) you also need only the highest degree assessed as stated by CIC here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=991&top=29

"To get the most points possible for your education under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you should get your highest degree, diploma or certificate assessed (PhD, MA, BA)"

The only exception is where the combination of two degrees gives you more points than the highest degree and you want to claim this higher score. But as CIC states: "You must submit an ECA for all levels of completed foreign education you want us to consider. It is up to you to decide which credentials to have assessed".

Also read here (Q6): http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-getting-your-educational-credentials-assessed.408311/
The problem for me is that I know I only need to get my highest degree evaluated (a master's in the US) to get the "human capital points". But for the points in the the "skill transferability factor", it says "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post- secondary program of three years or longer". So I am not sure if I have to get my bachelor's degree (from my home country) evaluated too in order to get the points.

PS: the interesting thing is when I fill the EE forms (where I indicated I didnt get a ECA for my bachelor's degree), I still got the points for the skill transferability factors. So I guess they automatically assume I have a bachelor's degree because I have master's degree from the US?

Thanks for the opinion.

jriverac

Jan 6, 2017
The problem for me is that I know I only need to get my highest degree evaluated (a master's in the US) to get the "human capital points". But for the points in the the "skill transferability factor", it says "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post- secondary program of three years or longer". So I am not sure if I have to get my bachelor's degree (from my home country) evaluated too in order to get the points.

PS: the interesting thing is when I fill the EE forms (where I indicated I didnt get a ECA for my bachelor's degree), I still got the points for the skill transferability factors. So I guess they automatically assume I have a bachelor's degree because I have master's degree from the US?

Thanks for the opinion.
In the "Transferability Factor" for Education, they say: "With good official language proficiency and a post-secondary degree". In the breakdown, they consider only three levels for education: 1) Secondary school (high school) credential or less, 2) Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer and 3) Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer. This level 3) is the sixth level in the Education grid (which consists of eight levels). Only Masters (level 7) and PhD (level 8) are above. That's the reason you get full points for transferability even without an ECA for your bachelor. What I mean is Transferability gives you points by combining factors (education, language skills, and experience) but without additional requirements over these factors. That's my opinion.

rickyhanzhang

Star Member
May 13, 2017
In the "Transferability Factor" for Education, they say: "With good official language proficiency and a post-secondary degree". In the breakdown, they consider only three levels for education: 1) Secondary school (high school) credential or less, 2) Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer and 3) Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer. This level 3) is the sixth level in the Education grid (which consists of eight levels). Only Masters (level 7) and PhD (level 8) are above. That's the reason you get full points for transferability even without an ECA for your bachelor. What I mean is Transferability gives you points by combining factors (education, language skills, and experience) but without additional requirements over these factors. That's my opinion.
Thanks very much for the opinion. Hope everything goes well. I assume even if it's not enough, they'll give me a chance to update the info, instead of just rejecting me directly...

hoseinyh

May 30, 2017
You need the highest education to be evaluated, thats it. This is specifically mentioned in the section asking you if you have a Canadian degree on EE profile. click on the question mark for more info and it tells you they need the highest. stop giving wrong info to others.

Good luck.
I have a PhD and I have evaluated only that although I have master and bachelor degree in the same subject. Now I am filling in the application form for EE, shall I mention only my PhD in the form or I can mention other degrees as well?

Reactions: IndoKori

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Here is the conclusion as per me. Please correct me if I am making a mistake.

- Basic point is to get the Highest Degree evaluated (Only)

- If by any chance one has 2 degrees at the highest level (I mean 2 masters or 2 bachelors etc..), get both (Highest) evaluated.
- E.g. if one has 2 bachelor's degrees and no Master, get both bachelor's degrees evaluated
- E.g. If one has 1 master's degree and 2 bachelor's degrees, ONLY get master's degree evaluated.
- E.g. If one has 2 master's degrees and other lower level degrees, ONLY get both the master's degrees evaluated.

Now, during filling the EE form (post ITA), please mention all the degrees (evaluated + non-evaluated). Please make sure to have the supporting documents.

Waiting for experts to comment.

Thanks,
Chikoo.

rajdeep_bose

Jun 8, 2017
I have a 3 years bachelors degree and a 1 year post graduate diploma. Have got both of them assessed by WES. For my former degree WES mentions bachelors degree (3 years) under the canadian equivalency tab and for the latter it has mentioned one year post secondary study from an unrecognised university under the canadian equivalency tab even though I did it from Xavier Institute of Communications. The final summary just mentions bachelors degree (3 years).
While filling up my education in the EE profile should I mention both the qualifications or just mention the bachelors. Why I ask is when I include the diploma and select one year post secondary it increases my overall score. Kindly suggest urgently.

soumendranath

Jun 15, 2017
After my 4 years B.tech degree I have done a course on Advance certificate in power distribution management(ACPDM) (course duration 6 monthes) from Indira Gandhi National Open University(IGNOU) which is a legitimate university in India
Do I get any credential for that if I submit it for assessment?
Does it fall under 'Two or more post secondary program' as i have my B.Tech degree and get me some extra points?

khalilrazu

Mar 7, 2017
I did ECA for the MSc of my spouse. While giving education information at the express entry profile.... should i put her bachelor also and say that ECA was not done for that?

So, to conclude this question;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=991&t=29

which says;

"To get the most points possible for your education under the Comprehensive Ranking System, you should get your highest degree, diploma or certificate assessed (PhD, MA, BA).

If you have more than one credential, you may want to get both assessed if it would give you more points."

That means if you have PhD assessed, you already got the highest point, and done!

pretty_woman1

Star Member
Jun 20, 2017
Hello,

I am a little bit confused....

I have a graduate degree from a Canadian University so will get points in my EE profile, but do I also need to do an educational credential evaluation for my Bachelor's degree as well? My Bachelor's degree is outside Canada. As I understood you can claim some points for an evaluated Bachelor's degree as well? If yes, how many? Thanks.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello,

I am a little bit confused....

I have a graduate degree from a Canadian University so will get points in my EE profile, but do I also need to do an educational credential evaluation for my Bachelor's degree as well? My Bachelor's degree is outside Canada. As I understood you can claim some points for an evaluated Bachelor's degree as well? If yes, how many? Thanks.
Hello, points will calculated based on the highest degree one has. So in my opinion no need for bachelor's evaluation because there will be no points for it anyways. In scenario like if one has 2 highest degree (e.g. two masters) they get both evaluated.

Newbie here

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have Comp. science engineering from India.
Masters in Info. tech from Australia.
Masters in Com. Science from USA.

Now in WES evaluation, Can i claim points for all the above, for 1 bachelors and 2 masters degrees. I heard only one masters degree gets points and the other is redundant. How many points may i get for all those mentioned above ? Please let me know..

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks!!

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have Comp. science engineering from India.
Masters in Info. tech from Australia.
Masters in Com. Science from USA.

Now in WES evaluation, Can i claim points for all the above, for 1 bachelors and 2 masters degrees. I heard only one masters degree gets points and the other is redundant. How many points may i get for all those mentioned above ? Please let me know..

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks!!
I would recommend get ECA done for both. Basic concept is that highest degree must be evaluated... In your case You have two so get it done.
I have noticed MASters from USA has almost equivalent value as Canadian education so keep that as priority if you are going with only one.

Newbie here

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Did you ever hear someone getting points for both the masters ? Is there a way to know this beforehand to applying WES. Oh, is WES should i go with or anyother that you recommend.

Again, appreciate your help. Thank you.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Did you ever hear someone getting points for both the masters ? Is there a way to know this beforehand to applying WES. Oh, is WES should i go with or anyother that you recommend.

Again, appreciate your help. Thank you.
For this let expert reply. but i think one gets point for both degrees of same level.

WES is good.

To know before hand you need to use CRS calculator available online. They give you approx points.