+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need ARC, if so how?

ladybug89

Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for all the help in advance!

My case is a little more complicated, but in short me and my mom were given a departure notice to leave Canada when I was 17 (we had refugee status but received green cards, even though I grew up in Canada). We complied but my mom didn't verify the departure with customs due to the language barrier and being a little naive about the process, and it converted to a Deportation. We left for the USA as we are US citizens. Three years ago I went back to Canada to visit family and friends and the customs agent was a little confused about my issue and she said when you leave at the end of this trip your departure notice will go through, but another agent said I need an ARC. They let me stay for my trip but both agreed I had to go to the consulate in LA to get clarification. A year later I went to the consulate and the lady at the window wasn't sure about my case so she got help from someone in the back and that lady called me to the window and told me I DO NOT need an ARC to return and that I must tell the customs agents at the point of entry that "the dependent of a person deemed deported does not require ARC to return". She said I will always have this issue, but that I must explain to them every time I want to return!

Well, last week I did return and they said I was given mis-information and that I did need ARC and was subsequently denied entry into Canada. I wasn't re-deported and they let me withdraw my application to enter Canada.

I have decided to get the ARC, but what is the process of getting it? The CIC website is vague and telling me to apply for a TRV then send in a letter and passport photos etc. Is that the procedure even for US citizens who don't technically need a visa to enter Canada? I just need an ARC. And the website does not mention anything about sending in background check info. but some people mention that it is needed. I'm a little confused. Can someone help me? Thank you!

Edit: One issue that did come up last week at the point of entry was: I have an arrest on my record here in the US even though I was never charged. I had prescription medication on me at the airport in LA but the prescription wasn't on me. I was arrested but once I faxed them a copy of the prescription the charge was dismissed, I never went to court. In fact the medication I had in my possession does not require a prescription in Canada to possess...so I didn't even break a Canadian law. But the customs agent did ask me a lot about it. Do you think that can cause me trouble in getting the ARC?