+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a travel document to reenter Canada without a PRC?

stiebenr

Jan 15, 2010
Hello,
My PRC expired - and I applied for a new one.
In the mean time I had to go to South America because of work.

Do I absolutely NEED a travel document to return to Canada? (I have a valid German passport)

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The airline usually (but not always) will refuse to board you to Canada without a travel document. While they would board you on a German passport, that usually requires a return or onward ticket out of Canada; few travel companies will allow you to have a one-way ticket to Canada without some proof of status that allows you to stay long-term.

stiebenr

Jan 15, 2010
Thank you for your quick reply!

In my case I have to fly back to south america in a week or two after entering Canada anyways. If I DO HAVE a return ticket - would it then be OK to enter Canada with my passport only?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no guarantee of anything without a PR card or a travel document.

However, if you have a German passport with a return ticket I cannot imagine that the airline will refuse to board you. As long as you have fulfilled the requirements to retain your PR the border will definitely admit you to Canada as PRs have right of entry.

stiebenr said:
Thank you for your quick reply!

In my case I have to fly back to south america in a week or two after entering Canada anyways. If I DO HAVE a return ticket - would it then be OK to enter Canada with my passport only?

Wolverine

Oct 7, 2008
Germans do not need visa to travel to Canada so I don't see why wouldn't they let you back in the country without your PR card. Just in case take your PR confirmation - the one that they gave you when you "landed"

As for the airlines - your passport is enough to board a plane!

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
There's two separate issues:

1. Getting to Canada (i.e. getting on the plane)
2. Getting in (i.e. being allowed in through immigration)

For getting to Canada you only need your passport as you're visa-exempt. However, like Karlshammar said, a one-way ticket might make them ask questions. (I'm a UK citizen i.e. visa exempt and was asked questions by Air Canada flying from the US on a one-way ticket one time before I was a PR.)

For getting in, if you have met the residency obligation then you're fine - they can look you up in the computer and confirm your status - it will probably mean a short detour via immigration secondary, but you don't actually need a current PR card; the expired PR card, copy of your COPR document, or even just your passport is sufficient. If you have not met the residency obligation, then you are likely to have problems - they would allow you in but start proceedings to revoke your PR status.