+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a study permit for the Internship period?

Canada is allowing you to begin your studies online in fall 2020 and work upon your arrival. Canadian study and work experience will improve your chances of becoming an immigrant. Complete CanadaVisa's Study Pathway Form so we can help you begin your Canadian immigration journey this fall!

arg_m

Oct 18, 2018
Hi all,

I wanted to know if I will need a Study Permit extension or if with an Open Work Permit I will be able to finish the course I'm enrolled in.

Background:
I'm an international student who's in Canada with a valid study permit that expires on 8-Feb-2019.

My course start date was deferred by 4 weeks. I was supposed to start on 23-Oct-2017 but the course started on 13-Nov-2017 (3 weeks later). This delayed the expected end date, which originally was 8-Feb-2019 and now it will be 8-Mar-2019 (4 weeks later).

My study permit expires on 8-Feb-2019. The total course length is 66 weeks, with expected end date of 8-Mar-2019. This includes 62 weeks of In-class training and 4 weeks of Internship. This means I will finish the 62 weeks on 8-Feb-2019, but the Internship will end on 8-Mar-2019.

What type of permit(s) will I need from 8-Feb-2019 to 8-Mar-2019:

a) Both a Study Permit extension and a Co-Op Work Permit for those 4 weeks from 8-Feb-2019 to 8-Mar-2019.
b) Both a Study Permit extension and an Open Work Permit for those 4 weeks from 8-Feb-2019 to 8-Mar-2019. (I'll hold an Open Work Permit since I'm applying for PR)
c) A Co-Op Work Permit (don't think this is an option)
d) An Open Work Permit that I'll have since I'm applying for PR
e) Just a Study Permit extension, and no work permit required
f) Other?

The other thing to consider is that from 8-Feb-2019 to 8-Mar-2019 there's only 4 weeks, less than 6 months.

Is internship work considered study also? Meaning you need both a Study permit and a Work permit (co-op/other)?

Thanks!

(Any comments will be appreciated - helps knowing that someone read this)

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If this work is part of your studies then SP extension & Co-OP. But why not just ask your school surely they must deal with this issue daily?

arg_m

Oct 18, 2018
If this work is part of your studies then SP extension & Co-OP. But why not just ask your school surely they must deal with this issue daily?
Thanks bongoman. Yes, thath's what I think I need, SP ext + Co-op.

I'll meet with the school's immigration expert next week.

arg_m

Oct 18, 2018
So the school doesn't know and CIC replied describing what implied status is in detail. I still don't know what to do.

arg_m

Oct 18, 2018
Since the co-op was part of the course, option "a" was the right one. I was still a student enrolled, hence I needed a study permit:

a) Both a Study Permit extension and a Co-Op Work Permit for those 4 weeks from 8-Feb-2019 to 8-Mar-2019.

Canada is allowing you to begin your studies online in fall 2020 and work upon your arrival. Canadian study and work experience will improve your chances of becoming an immigrant. Complete CanadaVisa's Study Pathway Form so we can help you begin your Canadian immigration journey this fall!