+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a Police Certificate in this case? Please advise

Jun 12, 2017
Hello there guys!

Currently, I'm preparing my docs for immigration and have a quick question.

I've spent two summers in the US in 2009 and 2010, which makes 6+ months in total been there. Do I still need to get a Police Certificate from the US despite the fact that those 6 months were not in a row?

Also, I've changed my citizenship since then.

Thanks in advance!

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
YES you do.

DiNaV

Feb 25, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-May-2016
AOR Received.
22-Apr-2017
IELTS Request
30-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
06-Mar-2017(Pre-meds)
Check this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

It clearly states it:-

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

Reactions: GavinSouthAfrica

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
Hello there guys!

Currently, I'm preparing my docs for immigration and have a quick question.

I've spent two summers in the US in 2009 and 2010, which makes 6+ months in total been there. Do I still need to get a Police Certificate from the US despite the fact that those 6 months were not in a row?

Also, I've changed my citizenship since then.

Thanks in advance!
yup, as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp

You may need a police certificate from any country or territory that you have spent six months or more since the age of 18.

For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

Jun 12, 2017
Thanks guys! The links are also saying that each member needs one, but family members need certificates for the countries they have been to, correct?

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
And also, I have been the US with a different from now citizenship, it does not matter, correct?
Can't see citizenship counting for anything

But yes every person who will be joining you in Canada needs one for any country they've spent more than 6 months in since they turned 18..

The American one is the most annoying to get so definitely start there.