+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a police certificate in my application for TRV?

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
I'm from the United States and I've been a visitor in Canada for a few months now. I want to stay here to start job searching because I eventually would like to move here. I have a few questions:

1. A "temporary resident visa" (TRV) is what I need to get in order to stay in Canada for 6 more months as a visitor, correct?

2. Should I get a police certificate before I apply? (Getting a police certificate takes 3 months and costs about $70 total, so I'd like to skip it, but I have a misdemeanor on my record and I'm not sure if they will want to see more information through the police certificate...?) cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

3. When I apply for the TRV, should I tell them the reason I want it is so that I can properly network and job search here in Canada? Not sure if that will be a good reason or a bad reason... I could just give other reasons instead like getting to know my extended relatives or my boyfriend that I have here in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. If you are already in Canada then you will apply to extend your visit (not for a new TRV).
2. You shouldn't need a police certificate. However depending on the nature of your misdemeanor and dates involved, this could create other complications for your future in Canada.
3. I definitely would not mention the job search. However if you are living with your boyfriend and attempting to live together for a full year to become common law so that he can sponsor you for PR - this is a valid reason.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
Thanks for your response.

I don't live with my boyfriend, but I am considering it. Can I have my own separate bedroom from him?

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
We're thinking of renting a house with friends. We would each have our own bedroom. Would this still qualify us for extending the visa to eventually gain common-law status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
happilyfreckled said:
We're thinking of renting a house with friends. We would each have our own bedroom. Would this still qualify us for extending the visa to eventually gain common-law status?
That's not common law. That's a roommate situation.

happilyfreckled

Jul 23, 2016
scylla said:
if you are living with your boyfriend and attempting to live together for a full year to become common law so that he can sponsor you for PR - this is a valid reason.
Are you sure you're right about this? A few users are saying that living with my boyfriend for the purpose of creating common-law status is NOT a valid reason to extend my stay as a visitor: www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/valid-reasons-to-extend-your-stay-t442429.0.html