+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do I need a passport to get medical exam?

deniserysso

Sep 4, 2009
As an American living in Canada with no legal status, other than being married to a Canadian, I am told I need a passport to get my medical exam. I don't have one. Even my (Michigan) Driver's License is expired. I am so fed up with all the BS, just trying to get Permanent Resident status. Help!

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Yes you need your passport.

Hang on a minute, do you have a photocopy of your passport, I remember i never had my passport with me when i did my medicals, but went with photo copies, and birth certificates, driver licence, they just need it for their files and identify its you the medicals are for. Try that!

IsleChik

Sep 16, 2009
You need to have a passport to submit your PR application
You have to apply in person for your first US passport
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html
As of today - it's taking 4-6 weeks for a passport and YES, they will mail it to Canada - no problem with that
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

arewethereyet said:
Looking at the guide for medical exams http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289E12.asp
It looks like you will need an "official identity document bearing a photo and the date of birth of the family member".

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not need your passport for the medical exam. My husband didn't have a passport when he did his exam (this was in India). Actually, on the advise of our MP's office, we submitted the PR application before my husband even had his passport since he had already been waiting more than 1 year for it. You will need some type of identity document though. This is a quote from the medical exam instructions of what you need to bring with you:

Passport and photocopies of the biographical data pages (this is the page that shows the date of birth, the country of origin, etc.)If no passport is available, provide an official identity document bearing a photo and the date of birth of the family member

IsleChik

Sep 16, 2009
While the OP can get away with no passport for the medical - her driver's liscense is expired
She's going to need a passport anyway
I did my medical without my passport simply because I forgot it
The DMP's office was less than thrilled and almost didn't do my medical because of it

ariell said:
You do not need your passport for the medical exam. My husband didn't have a passport when he did his exam (this was in India). Actually, on the advise of our MP's office, we submitted the PR application before my husband even had his passport since he had already been waiting more than 1 year for it. You will need some type of identity document though. This is a quote from the medical exam instructions of what you need to bring with you:

Passport and photocopies of the biographical data pages (this is the page that shows the date of birth, the country of origin, etc.)If no passport is available, provide an official identity document bearing a photo and the date of birth of the family member

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
My husband and step son had their meds in Canada and they needed their passport

and agree with others, where do you think they will put your pr visa if you have no passport? get your passport

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
It is my understanding that once you get approved for a visa they send a passport request? What will happen at this stage?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Ssarah183 said:
It is my understanding that once you get approved for a visa they send a passport request? What will happen at this stage?
they wait for your passport, stamp visa and return it back to you

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cdnshaz said:
My husband and step son had their meds in Canada and they needed their passport

and agree with others, where do you think they will put your pr visa if you have no passport? get your passport
Well, obviously, she will eventually need a passport!!!! Good grief. She just doesn't need it to do the medical which was the original question.

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
right bu you dont want to overwhelm the agent with too many things. it has to be easy for the officer to navigate the info and absorb what's there. to much can be bad as well.

Sara

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry Sara, I don't understand your comment. How would getting the medical done without a passport, as per the instructions from CIC, be too much for an immigration officer to absorb?

saralune said:
right bu you dont want to overwhelm the agent with too many things. it has to be easy for the officer to navigate the info and absorb what's there. to much can be bad as well.

Sara

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
you know what.. i don t know how I ended up doing this... but i posted this in the wrong thread ! forget about it !

haha