+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need a lawyer?

one half

Jul 20, 2009
I will be applying for CEC in January once I've reached my 2 years of work experience.
I intend to fill out all the necessary forms for CEC application myself and have a lawyer check it all over before I submit it.
My question is, is a lawyer absolutely necessary? Ideally I'd like to save the money and do all of the application myself but I'm concerned that without a lawyer I might do something incorrectly and be denied residency.
Has anyone got any advice on going it alone?
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Memorize the application guide - then realize it can change at any time :)

Check for updates to the application process - rules/requirements can and do change, and the rules in effect when you submit your application are the ones that apply. New application guides can be posted, but you won't know unless you look.

Follow the checklist. Submit all required documents with the application. For some reason, lots of people don't. If English is your first language, it will be easier for you. Ask questions from CIC or here if there's something that is confusing.

If your work permit expires, make sure you renew on time, or depart Canada on time.

Fortunately, the CEC application is much simpler than most... Since there is no refund of the application fee, there's incentive to get it right the first time :)

one half

Jul 20, 2009
Thank you for your responses! Really helpful. Hopefully I'll be able to save some money by doing the application myself. I'll be sure to follow your advice jes_ON.
Thanks!

Tarry

Star Member
Sep 22, 2008
I read the CEC guide for over 4 times to point that I knew the sequence of the requirements. Also went through the check list several times. I think the lawyers have the same info that we have on CIC.GC.CA. Go over it several time and make sure you understand every thing. If you have any doubts, senior members are always available to help as they did for me. Good luck!!