+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i lose my existing post graduation work permit if i apply to refugee status?

Jul 15, 2016
I'm from Turkey. I came to Canada(Calgary) on April-2014 and got enrolled to a college business administration diploma program on January-2015. I completed my studies on April-2016 and got an open work permit for 3 years. First of all can i make a refugee claim? If i can do so, can i apply for a refugee claim in Toronto(My port of entry is Calgary)? Lastly will i lose my 3 years open work permit if i apply for refugee? Actually i wasn't thinking to apply refugee claim, but as a result of latest news in Turkey(there is an attempt of military coup to take over the control from government), i feel pretty concerned about going back to Turkey. I also have an engineering degree which is abtained in Turkey. Thanks all for your advises in advance.

HKG

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
You are already in good situation. You have 3 years open work permit. Work for one year and then apply for PNP or CEC and get PR. Why go the hard way?

obib

Star Member
Dec 3, 2011
albertastudent said:
I'm from Turkey. I came to Canada(Calgary) on April-2014 and got enrolled to a college business administration diploma program on January-2015. I completed my studies on April-2016 and got an open work permit for 3 years. First of all can i make a refugee claim? If i can do so, can i apply for a refugee claim in Toronto(My port of entry is Calgary)? Lastly will i lose my 3 years open work permit if i apply for refugee? Actually i wasn't thinking to apply refugee claim, but as a result of latest news in Turkey(there is an attempt of military coup to take over the control from government), i feel pretty concerned about going back to Turkey. I also have an engineering degree which is abtained in Turkey. Thanks all for your advises in advance.

Reading what many people who applied through the route you are suggesting are going through at the moment now,I will not advice you to try it especially since you are already in Canada and have brighter chances to get PR through other route with your PGWP

Jul 15, 2016
Thanks for the advises but none of them answers my questions. I have already spent 120.000CAD+2 years which just gave me 3 years open work permit. I want to get my pr and establish my own business. It took just 3 months for a friend of mine to get accepted under refugee. Again, do i lose my existing work permit if i apply to refugee?

Streetman

Jun 21, 2016
Edmonton
If its already issued three years I think you will not lose it, however I'm not sure if your claim failed you will be removed or not, add into that if the refugee failed you may not able to apply for PR through the current Xpress or PNP till you leave the country and apply from outside.
Finally you mentioned that your friend took 3 months and get accepted as refugee, he is protected person now and need to apply for PR as refugee, this will take at least another 17 months (as per processing time currently posted in CIC)

I advise you to think about all the options and consequences before you take any step.
cheers

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
albertastudent said:
Thanks for the advises but none of them answers my questions. I have already spent 120.000CAD+2 years which just gave me 3 years open work permit. I want to get my pr and establish my own business. It took just 3 months for a friend of mine to get accepted under refugee. Again, do i lose my existing work permit if i apply to refugee?
If your sole grounds for applying for refugee status is a failed coup that was put down within hours, you'd be better off sticking with your work permit instead.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I were you I would try to find work and apply for express entry. If you can’t find anything within the first year then go for it. Claiming refugee is risky, you must have solid grounds and face extreme risk. Plus note that when you apply for refugee having a business might not work so well, at least that’s what I heard. So think about it again, apply for refugee mean you passport is sized and you can’t leave. Even if your friend got it in 3 months doesn’t mean it will be the same for you; every case is unique. And giving what just happened in Turkey it might not help your case at all.

Read this story:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/soooo-frustrated-t428120.0.html;msg5227979#msg5227979

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/the-journey-to-get-my-seized-passport-and-go-back-home-t438441.0.html

Just my opinion after all,

Good luck

mohammed zaid

Apr 14, 2014
First of all I would tell that Asylum is not something a gateway to PR. Many people assume so but the case depends on credibility of the situation and circumstances you have in home country. This is a long process you have to suffer a lot of emotional stress during the process just to get an approval. Delay maybe from 1-3 years. I will say this is a long struggle do not get tangled in this. Apply for job get PNP and apply for PR. That's the best suggestion I can give.

canadian90

Feb 2, 2016
Keep in mind that if you apply for refugee, you are going to have to explain why you haven't applied before when you were here.. You would have to have strong reasons to say why you haven't applied before and waited all this time to apply for refugee.

As other people mentioned, if your claim is not successful, there is no other way to apply for PR, and you'll have to leave Canada.

Consult lawyers as well, good ones, and think about it.

Good Luck!