+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I loose health benefits if I leave Canada Forever?

JSPCAN

Oct 20, 2016
Hi Seniors,

I am a PR at the moment and hopefully by God's grace I will file for Citizenship by May 2021 and get it.

I reside in Ontario and have access to OHIP.Do I loose my health benefits and pension benefits if I leave Canada Forever after becoming a Citizen?

Best Regards
JSPCAN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Seniors,

I am a PR at the moment and hopefully by God's grace I will file for Citizenship by May 2021 and get it.

I reside in Ontario and have access to OHIP.Do I loose my health benefits and pension benefits if I leave Canada Forever after becoming a Citizen?

Best Regards
JSPCAN
Depending in how long you worked in Canada you may qualify for minimal a CPP. Currently you will qualify for OHIP after a waiting if you return but some provinces have requirements like having to be living in the province for 10 years to qualify for longterm care. Really impossible to say what will happen decades down the line. You will need savings to live off if returning to Canada and should not be counting on a pension to return to in Canada.

edit: based on your previous posts you will not have contributed to CPP for 10 years. CPP is based on your previous contributions.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi Seniors,

Best Regards
JSPCAN
You lose OHIP for sure.

JSPCAN

Oct 20, 2016
You lose OHIP for sure.
Hi Canuck78/Jddd,

Thanks for your response.

-I will loose my OHIP after how long when I leave Canada ?

-Is there any way to keep it running ?...like paying taxes or something...

-Lets assume after few years want to come back to Canada. Is it possible to revive it again?

Regards
JSPCAN

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Jddd,

-I will loose my OHIP after how long when I leave Canada ?

-Is there any way to keep it running ?...like paying taxes or something...

-Lets assume after few years want to come back to Canada. Is it possible to revive it again?

Regards
JSPCAN
As soon as you don’t meet the residency obligations that are specific to OHIP you lose coverage. In general you need to spend 6 months in Canada and therefore be paying taxes to qualify. No if you move to Australia you can’t keep your OHIP coverage. Based on your past posts you are already married yet getting married again and moving to Australia. You also somehow have plans to sponsor your parents. If you return to Ontario you reapply for OHIP. There are no guarantees there won’t be special rules for returning citizens decades from now. For example some provinces have rules that you have to be in the province for 10 years to take advantage of longterm care. You still have to pay around 1K per bed but if you paid market price you would be paying substantially more.

JSPCAN

Oct 20, 2016
As soon as you don’t meet the residency obligations that are specific to OHIP you lose coverage. In general you need to spend 6 months in Canada and therefore be paying taxes to qualify. No if you move to Australia you can’t keep your OHIP coverage. Based on your past posts you are already married yet getting married again and moving to Australia yet trying to sponsor your parents.

Hi Canuck78,

I did think of wanting to get PR for my parents and sought information earlier.

But later I realized that once I get married and move out of Canada ,then in that case my parents wont be coming here (as I wont be here).

I am not married but in the process of planning .As my would spouse in Australian citizen ,so I plan to move there.It seems a complicated move ,hence want to plan well.

Regards
JSPCAN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck78,

I did think of wanting to get PR for my parents and sought information earlier.

But later I realized that once I get married and move out of Canada ,then in that case my parents wont be coming here (as I wont be here).

I am not married but in the process of planning .As my would spouse in Australian citizen ,so I plan to move there.It seems a complicated move ,hence want to plan well.

Regards
JSPCAN
Your previous posts indicated you were already married thus the confusion.