+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to prove my citizenships?

Alberto SK

Feb 22, 2018
Hello everyone!
I have 2 citizenships, lets say citizenship of country A and citizenship of country B. I was born in country A my parents were citizens of that country and by this reason I have citizenship A, however I left that country when I was a child. I have never had country A passport or any other document that says that I am a citizen of that country. I have birth certificate from that country, but it cannot be a proof of citizenship. I also have a citizenship of country B, where I spent most of my life. I have passport from country B and many other documents which can prove my citizenship.

Im going to apply for Canadian citizenship soon, so I will list all my citizenships in the application.

My question is: How big is the chance that CIC officer will request prove of citizenship A?

I'm asking because it is almost impossible to get proof of citizenship from country A, this can take many years without guaranteed result. It is also a crime to have any other citizenship simultaneously with citizenship A in country A.

I would appreciate any response to this post. Thanks in advance.

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Hello everyone!
I have 2 citizenships, lets say citizenship of country A and citizenship of country B. I was born in country A my parents were citizens of that country and by this reason I have citizenship A, however I left that country when I was a child. I have never had country A passport or any other document that says that I am a citizen of that country. I have birth certificate from that country, but it cannot be a proof of citizenship. I also have a citizenship of country B, where I spent most of my life. I have passport from country B and many other documents which can prove my citizenship.

Im going to apply for Canadian citizenship soon, so I will list all my citizenships in the application.

My question is: How big is the chance that CIC officer will request prove of citizenship A?

I'm asking because it is almost impossible to get proof of citizenship from country A, this can take many years without guaranteed result. It is also a crime to have any other citizenship simultaneously with citizenship A in country A.

I would appreciate any response to this post. Thanks in advance.
I think you should claim citizenship from both countries by adding an explanatory letter to your application.
Your explanation given above seems very clear.

Reactions: JoeOsu

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
-List both countries of citizenship, country of birth must be listed even if you don't have birth certificate and Passport.

for example your date of birth is 1980-01-01 and where born in Pakistan but grew up from age 5 in UK and became UK citizen and moved to Canada as student, refugee or worker and applying for canadian citizenship 2018 and don't have Pakistan birth certificate , here is scenario:

01-01-1985-Present UK Citizen
01-01-1980-Pakistan (Country of Birth)

it helps to have cover letter but not necessary if you provide UK passport biographical copies and make sure you have country B passport not expired and on hand the day of Meeting citizenship judge otherwise it will cause unnecessary delays and you can't take chances.

I guess when you to Canada and became PR they asked countries of residence and Citizenship, the process for Citizenship is just same as PR app repetition to cross check match peoples previous stories some might say they were Citizen of only 1 country on their PR app and claim Citizen of more 1-2 countries in their citizenship app and get toasted.

Last edited:

Alberto SK

Feb 22, 2018
-List both countries of citizenship, country of birth must be listed even if you don't have birth certificate and Passport.

for example your date of birth is 1980-01-01 and where born in Pakistan but grew up from age 5 in UK and became UK citizen and moved to Canada as student, refugee or worker and applying for canadian citizenship 2018 and don't have Pakistan birth certificate , here is scenario:

01-01-1985-Present UK Citizen
01-01-1980-Pakistan (Country of Birth)

it helps to have cover letter but not necessary if you provide UK passport biographical copies and make sure you have country B passport not expired and on hand the day of Meeting citizenship judge otherwise it will cause unnecessary delays and you can't take chances.

I guess when you to Canada and became PR they asked countries of residence and Citizenship, the process for Citizenship is just same as PR app repetition to cross check match peoples previous stories some might say they were Citizen of only 1 country on their PR app and claim Citizen of more 1-2 countries in their citizenship app and get toasted.
Thanks for response,
I'm not going to hide my citizenship, I'm just worried if they ask me to prove my words, that I have citizenship of country where I was born, but I won't be able to do this, by reasons I explained in the first post.

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
Thanks for response,
I'm not going to hide my citizenship, I'm just worried if they ask me to prove my words, that I have citizenship of country where I was born, but I won't be able to do this, by reasons I explained in the first post.
you will be fine, I don't even have passport myself from country of birth and can't get one because of ongoing war so had heard time figuring out biographical passport pages but when I called CIC they told me you will be fine so I understand your frustration.

as long as you have your current citizenship passport and not expired by citizenship judge meeting you will be fine. Good luck.