+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do i have to prove I am single before getting a marriage certificate in Ontario

app202402

Feb 15, 2024
I'm pr, and she's a foreigner (or visitor). We have no foreign marriage certificate and we want to get a Ontario marriage directly. I wonder, if we need to provide some proof showing that we are both single before applying for a marriage certificate in Ontario?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm pr, and she's a foreigner (or visitor). We have no foreign marriage certificate and we want to get a Ontario marriage directly. I wonder, if we need to provide some proof showing that we are both single before applying for a marriage certificate in Ontario?
Let's start with basic facts: have either of you been married before, anywhere?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, yes, she is devorced in China years ago, holding a divorce certificate. As to me,I am single since born.
The question was "have either of you been married before?" Yes, she has been married before.

She will have to show she is divorced - check what is needed. "Single" in normal speech is distinct and different from what you will need to get married on Ontario ('single' and 'divorced' are different things, for Ontario).

app202402

Feb 15, 2024
Let's start with basic facts: have either of you been married before, anywhere?
The question was "have either of you been married before?" Yes, she has been married before.

She will have to show she is divorced - check what is needed. "Single" in normal speech is distinct and different from what you will need to get married on Ontario ('single' and 'divorced' are different things, for Ontario).
Hi, thanks , but i still wonder, Will the ontario government request any martial status proof or self declaration before giving us a marriage certificate?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
I read other replies, and I know you said you are single and never married, and she is divorced in China. This is what I did:

I was divorced with a foreign divorce certificate. She was single and never married before. I had to translate and notarize my foreign divorce certificate and get a legal opinion from a lawyer addressed to the Government of Ontario advising on recognizing the foreign marriage. Include that with the marriage license application. Done--- We got the license and got married in Ontario.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

app202402

Feb 15, 2024
Thank you. I still wonder if it is mandatory to do so, or she just self declare herself as divorced or marriable or even single and provide no real documemts ( I not intend to do so but I want to know if there is any loophole in the process there).
I read other replies, and I know you said you are single and never married, and she is divorced in China. This is what I did:

I was divorced with a foreign divorce certificate. She was single and never married before. I had to translate and notarize my foreign divorce certificate and get a legal opinion from a lawyer addressed to the Government of Ontario advising on recognizing the foreign marriage. Include that with the marriage license application. Done--- We got the license and got married in Ontario.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. I still wonder if it is mandatory to do so, or she just self declare herself as divorced or marriable or even single and provide no real documemts ( I not intend to do so but I want to know if there is any loophole in the process there).
If she answers truthfully, she will need to follow the instructions above.

If she lies, there are various risks, including the marriage being considered void.

Are you really asking what happens if she lies?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is mandatory or your marriage will not be legal. There are no loop holes.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
If you ever needed to include her or sponsor her to become PR, you will need that document translated anyway.
As others have replied, you are risking to void your marriage if you don't follow the instruction and lie.

btw. she doesn't become "single" after being divorced. She remains in "divorced" status (true in BC and for filing tax returns) util she is married again.