+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to leave Canada if my visa expires before I receive my work permit?

engineer_to_be

Oct 11, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a situation here and I need your help.
I studied in Canada for two years for my Master and I was recently approved for graduation. My study permit and visa expire on the same day (Nov 30th 2019) which is less than 50 days from now. I submitted my application for post graduate work permit today but it takes around 100 days to receive it. According to IRCC website, I cannot apply for my visa until I get my post graduate work permit.
Does this mean if I don't receive my work permit before my visa expires, I have to leave Canada, apply for my visa after I receive my work permit and then come back to Canada once I received my visa?
I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Kruschev

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I studied in Canada for two years for my Master and I was recently approved for graduation. My study permit and visa expire on the same day (Nov 30th 2019) which is less than 50 days from now. I submitted my application for post graduate work permit today but it takes around 100 days to receive it. According to IRCC website, I cannot apply for my visa until I get my post graduate work permit.
Does this mean if I don't receive my work permit before my visa expires, I have to leave Canada, apply for my visa after I receive my work permit and then come back to Canada once I received my visa?
I appreciate your help.
No - you don't have to leave Canada. You can remain in Canada on implied status since you've submitted your PGWP application.

melewerein

Oct 11, 2019
I appreciate your help.
You can apply to restore your work permit in the first 90 days after it expires. If you do this, you can stay in Canada until you get further instructions, but you must stop working until you receive your restored work permit. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved.

Otherwise, you must leave Canada right away when your work permit expires. If you do not leave, you could be deported and will need permission from an immigration officer to come back.

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
I appreciate your help.
You are fine as long as you applied before your WP/SP expired. You are on implied status now. But remember, you cannot renew your health card or SIN number until you get your WP. So get a private insurance.

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
You are fine as long as you applied before your WP/SP expired. You are on implied status now. But remember, you cannot renew your health card or SIN number until you get your WP. So get a private insurance.
Hi, I am preparing for studying for a graduate program with my wife and child. It looks like you are quite experienced in such situation. I have some issue that really concern me. May I ask a few questions please? Thanks.

1. In the case metioned above, does engineer_to_be need to apply for a new vistor visa after PGWP is granted?

2. Will my familly member and me have health card or SIM number if I study for a graduate program in Canada with a study permit? I know I may be given a SIN while activating my study permit at the boarder and my spouse will also get one while granted with work permit. But will I be able to get a health card. It looks like health card is only given to PR or citizen. And do you know if my child who is less than 3 years old need a SIN?

Thanks. Apperciate your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am preparing for studying for a graduate program with my wife and child. It looks like you are quite experienced in such situation. I have some issue that really concern me. May I ask a few questions please? Thanks.

1. In the case metioned above, does engineer_to_be need to apply for a new vistor visa after PGWP is granted?

2. Will my familly member and me have health card or SIM number if I study for a graduate program in Canada with a study permit? I know I may be given a SIN while activating my study permit at the boarder and my spouse will also get one while granted with work permit. But will I be able to get a health card. It looks like health card is only given to PR or citizen. And do you know if my child who is less than 3 years old need a SIN?

Thanks. Apperciate your help.
Health coverage for international students and their families varies by province. Some have international student plans through their universities that they must pay to join and some get provincial coverage.

Kruschev

Oct 11, 2019
Health coverage for international students and their families varies by province. Some have international student plans through their universities that they must pay to join and some get provincial coverage.
Thank yo for your reply. I will do more research on it.