+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to keep working for the employer who provided the job offer after obtaining my PR?

pap_ON

Apr 25, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about job offers, and I cannot find the answer in any other threads.

I am currently in Ontario on a 1-year PGWP (ending December 2020) right now, and I have an express entry profile with a CRS score of 459 for FSW.

I'm still in search for a job. Recently, I had an interview with a local business who is willing to provide a job offer for immigration and apply for a LMIA. Here's my question: If I can get points for this job offer, will I have to work for the employer for at least 1 year after obtaining my PR?

As you all know, PR application can be a very long process mostly exceeding 1 year, and I am willing work for this employer and gain some Canadian work experience for a period of time. However, this employer is a small one with no career advancement opportunities, so I wonder if I will be bound to this employer 1 more year after getting my PR if I accept this offer?

I just want to know if would have the flexibility to change my employer after getting my PR, if not during the process.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I have a question about job offers, and I cannot find the answer in any other threads.

I am currently in Ontario on a 1-year PGWP (ending December 2020) right now, and I have an express entry profile with a CRS score of 459 for FSW.

I'm still in search for a job. Recently, I had an interview with a local business who is willing to provide a job offer for immigration and apply for a LMIA. Here's my question: If I can get points for this job offer, will I have to work for the employer for at least 1 year after obtaining my PR?

As you all know, PR application can be a very long process mostly exceeding 1 year, and I am willing work for this employer and gain some Canadian work experience for a period of time. However, this employer is a small one with no career advancement opportunities, so I wonder if I will be bound to this employer 1 more year after getting my PR if I accept this offer?

I just want to know if would have the flexibility to change my employer after getting my PR, if not during the process.

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Short answer is no - you won't. Once you are a PR, you can work for whomever you want to.

FYI - might be quite difficult to secure an approved LMIA right now. But if the employer is willing, by all means give it a try.

Reactions: pap_ON

pap_ON

Apr 25, 2020
FYI - might be quite difficult to secure an approved LMIA right now. But if the employer is willing, by all means give it a try.
Let me explain my exact situation: The employer is a travel agency and needs someone who can speak my native language, and I also have 6 years airline industry experience with a large network, and likely to earn them favourable business deals.

Do you think it would be hard to get a positive LMIA in my case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Let me explain my exact situation: The employer is a travel agency and needs someone who can speak my native language, and I also have 6 years airline industry experience with a large network, and likely to earn them favourable business deals.

Do you think it would be hard to get a positive LMIA in my case?
Yes - assume it will be very difficult. But your employer should certainly try.

Travel agency business has crashed right now so I think your employer will likely have a challenging time proving that you must be hired and they were unable to find a Canadian for the role (lots of people with tons of experience in the industry looking for work right now). Also, if you read through the LMIA details, you'll see that English and French are the only languages that can be identified as a requirement in the LMIA application. (You can try to argue that another language is required but this is generally not accepted.) Make sure your employer follows the advertising requirements exactly.

pap_ON

Apr 25, 2020
Yes - assume it will be very difficult. But your employer should certainly try.

Travel agency business has crashed right now so I think your employer will likely have a challenging time proving that you must be hired and they were unable to find a Canadian for the role (lots of people with tons of experience in the industry looking for work right now). Also, if you read through the LMIA details, you'll see that English and French are the only languages that can be identified as a requirement in the LMIA application. (You can try to argue that another language is required but this is generally not accepted.) Make sure your employer follows the advertising requirements exactly.
Thanks for your responses, and I appreciate your time.

It seems that I have no choice but try considering my PGWP is expiring in December. Would it be equally difficult if the employer applies for a LMIA to extend my PGWP as a temporary closed permit?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

It seems that I have no choice but try considering my PGWP is expiring in December. Would it be equally difficult if the employer applies for a LMIA to extend my PGWP as a temporary closed permit?
Can you not try and apply for EE with your Canadian Experience?

pap_ON

Apr 25, 2020
Can you not try and apply for EE with your Canadian Experience?
I don't have a Canadian Experience, yet, and I won't be able to get enough experience on my PGWP as I have only 8 months left. I haven't started to work for this employer, he is willing to employ me and apply for a LMIA but I am still unemployed right now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

It's the same process. Doesn't matter.

If your employer is willing to try for the LMIA, go ahead and try.