+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do i have to be in canada for the online citizenship test?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
how will they know if i am in canada or not?
They can track your IP, and can tell if you are in Canada or not. You could probably use a VPN, but they can cross check CBSA records, and see that you are not in the country.

The question is are you willing to risk taking the test from outside Canada, when the requirement is clearly to take the test from inside?

Reactions: BadGamer6

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
They can track your IP, and can tell if you are in Canada or not. You could probably use a VPN, but they can cross check CBSA records, and see that you are not in the country.

The question is are you willing to risk taking the test from outside Canada, when the requirement is clearly to take the test from inside?
Well said. There's no point to risk it cause it can potentially jeopardize one's application.

Reactions: Hot2Cold

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020

Actually a smart move from IRCC would be to just ask people to be in Canada for the Oath and not the test.
The test is just 20 questions, doesn't require crazy studying and has a very small percentage of failures. Most PRs know Canada more than Canadian Born Citizens.
The Oath is way more important to me. Just my opinion...

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Actually a smart move from IRCC would be to just ask people to be in Canada for the Oath and not the test.
The test is just 20 questions, doesn't require crazy studying and has a very small percentage of failures. Most PRs know Canada more than Canadian Born Citizens.
The Oath is way more important to me. Just my opinion...
I agree with you on that. In my opinion, the test is probably the most trivial part of the citizenship grant process. The Oath on the other hand, is a critical part of the process and the one that finally cements an applicant's commitment to Canada and the last crucial step in the process.

But the current rules do stipulate that the test be taken in Canada, so applicants would be foolish to ignore this directive.

Reactions: FlyingLion

FlyingLion

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
I agree with you on that. In my opinion, the test is probably the most trivial part of the citizenship grant process. The Oath on the other hand, is a critical part of the process and the one that finally cements an applicant's commitment to Canada and the last crucial step in the process.

But the current rules do stipulate that the test be taken in Canada, so applicants would be foolish to ignore this directive.
Exactly ! In order to avoid trouble, always respect the laws.