+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to apply for visitor record for dependent child of my wife?

asdfasdf123

Feb 25, 2020
Hi there, I have applied for my wife's spousal sponsorship inland with a work permit and she recently got her open work permit approved, she and her son is here in Canada with me, and my question is that do we have to apply for her dependent child for visitor record the second time as I had applied for both of them for visitor record before applying for spousal sponsorship with open work permit but the visitor record is about to expire for them though she doesn't need it anymore as she already have OPW. Now what I have come to learn is that PR application doesn't give you implied status and she doesn't need to apply for extension as she already got her open work permit, the question that I have is whether we have to apply for extension for visitor record for her dependent child or not? or will he come under his mother's open work permit and there is no need to apply for extension for him?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there, I have applied for my wife's spousal sponsorship inland with a work permit and she recently got her open work permit approved, she and her son is here in Canada with me, and my question is that do we have to apply for her dependent child for visitor record the second time as I had applied for both of them for visitor record before applying for spousal sponsorship with open work permit but the visitor record is about to expire for them though she doesn't need it anymore as she already have OPW. Now what I have come to learn is that PR application doesn't give you implied status and she doesn't need to apply for extension as she already got her open work permit, the question that I have is whether we have to apply for extension for visitor record for her dependent child or not? or will he come under his mother's open work permit and there is no need to apply for extension for him?
Yes, the child needs an extension. There is no automatic status based on his mother's status. Status is maintained individually for everyone, including children.

asdfasdf123

Feb 25, 2020
Yes, the child needs an extension. There is no automatic status based on his mother's status. Status is maintained individually for everyone, including children.
Just confirming that won't the child have implied status because the inland sponsorship application is in process and we have already received the AOR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just confirming that won't the child have implied status because the inland sponsorship application is in process and we have already received the AOR?
No you need to extend the child‘s visitor status. Implied status comes from the OWP so was only for your wife.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And I'm getting different suggestion from my representative
A PR app does not provide any form of status. If you don't extend the child's status, he will be in Canada illegally as of VR expiry.

If your representative says otherwise, seriously, get rid of them. This is an absolute basic fact.