+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have a claim for citizenship?

dananacer

Dec 15, 2017
My paternal grandparents were Canadian citizens and my father was Canadian born citizen (born in the 1950's). They moved to the US when my father was in high school. He went on to obtain US citizenship, after which in 1982 I was born here in the US. My mother is a US citizen. Trying to ascertain whether or not I have a claim on Canadian citizenship and if so how to begin the process.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
You should have citizenship. My hubby is Canadian, born in Canada. My kids are first generation Canadians born abroad and they are Canadians. I am German, so the situation is the same as yours, just your Mum is American. But...their kids will NOT be Canadians if born abroad as they will be second generation born abroad. So my kids if they want Canadian children need to make sure they are born in Canada. Also, my hubby has British citizenship as well, obtained in the UK.

pretoria11

Mar 6, 2014
My paternal grandparents were Canadian citizens and my father was Canadian born citizen (born in the 1950's). They moved to the US when my father was in high school. He went on to obtain US citizenship, after which in 1982 I was born here in the US. My mother is a US citizen. Trying to ascertain whether or not I have a claim on Canadian citizenship and if so how to begin the process.
You do. Go to the CIC website to check out the process. A friend of mine was on the same boat, took her 2 years to get her proof of citizenship (born and raised in Idaho, mom's Canadian and dad American).

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
You do. Go to the CIC website to check out the process. A friend of mine was on the same boat, took her 2 years to get her proof of citizenship (born and raised in Idaho, mom's Canadian and dad American).
For my kids it took 6 weeks. If you have your Dad’s birth certificate it should not be a problem.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just go here and follow the directions:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-citizenship-certificate-adults-minors.html

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Just to be clear: You don't "have a claim to Canadian citizenship"--You are in fact already a Canadian citizen. You just need to apply to get proof.