+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do days away as temporary resident count as double?

transformer

Star Member
Jul 12, 2007
All,

I will be eligible for citizenship soon and I have a question for the seniors:

I was Temporary resident till 2013 and became a PR.

I was outside Canada for 40 days for vacation as a temporary resident just before I became a PR.

My question is do days away count as double? Do I have to wait an extra 40 days or an extra 80 days?

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be sure, you'll need to use the residency calculator to determine that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
transformer said:
All,

I was outside Canada for 40 days for vacation as a temporary resident just before I became a PR.

My question is do days away count as double? Do I have to wait an extra 40 days or an extra 80 days?
As stated by dav3000, the best way, the easiest way, and the only reliable way to calculate residency is by using the online residency calculator and be sure to correctly enter all dates, for all travel.

But yes, it tends to take two days to make up for an absent day when the calculation depends on days in Canada prior to the date of landing. I cannot say that it is always exactly this, which is one more reason why using the online residency calculator is the easiest way to do it . . . and this is especially so for those relying on pre-landing credit.

You are probably anticipating the coming into force of the revised requirements and trying to beat the cutoff date. And of course all those who landed in 2013 and who were living in Canada prior to that with temporary status are, in effect, on-the-cusp, and there are undoubtedly thousands of you in this group.

While there is no particular handicap for relying on pre-landing credit, there are more than a few indications that CIC scrutinizes the residency calculation for such applicants rather closely. This is not a problem for anyone who gets it right, makes no mistakes at all, but it does highlight the importance of getting it very near perfect, accurately reporting all dates of travel. Remember, once the revised requirements take effect, applications made after that date will not get any credit at all for time in Canada prior to the date of landing, so it is not as if the current government will be lenient let alone generous in how it assesses residency for those who are entitled to the credit (anyone who gets the application submitted before the revised requirements take effect will be entitled to the pre-landing credit).

DAN11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
transformer said:
All,

Yes it does - being away for three days, they take 6 instead, however you can always go on the residency calculator to determine that. You dont need to start an application to check that you can just go on the residency calculator to check it out b4 you apply.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DAN11 said:
Yes it does - being away for three days, they take 6 instead, however you can always go on the residency calculator to determine that. You dont need to start an application to check that you can just go on the residency calculator to check it out b4 you apply.
That doesnt make sennse at all.
The days staying in Canada as temporary resident will be counted 1/2 for each day of stay.
The absent days will be counted as 1/2 day absence in the same logic!!!

I dont know where do you see the absent days will be counted double as absence.

See my calculation result on CIC website: Notice that the physical absence days are 77 while CIC only counts it as 57 days. That is bcoz the absence b4 i get PR is 40 days, and is counted as 20 days absence ONLY!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the information you provided, you meet the residence requirement.

Arrival date: 2011-07-02

Permanent residence date: 2012-11-17

Application date: 2015-05-07

Basic residence (days): 1153

Time spent serving a sentence (days):0

Days absent: 57

Physical presence (days):1096

Absences from Canada
From To Destination Reason # Days
2011-11-13 2011-12-23 Germany A personal vacation trip.. 40
2013-06-29 2013-07-07 United States of America A short summer vacation trip to New York,USA. 8
2013-09-28 2013-10-27 Germany A personal vacation trip. 29
Total # Days 77

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
transformer said:
All,

Your days outside Canada doesn't need to be count, before or after become PR.

You have to take into account the 4 years before the day you will submit your application, then:

before PR: 1 day in Canada, count as half a day
after PR: 1 day in Canada, count as 1 day
before or after: 1 day outside Canada, count as 0 days (it's count)

The total must be, as least, 1096 days.

Good luck !

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zumba369 said:
Your days outside Canada doesn't need to be count, before or after become PR.

You have to take into account the 4 years before the day you will submit your application, then:

before PR: 1 day in Canada, count as half a day
after PR: 1 day in Canada, count as 1 day
before or after: 1 day outside Canada, count as 0 days (it's count)

The total must be, as least, 1096 days.

Good luck !
No, you are wrong.
Absence days before PR will be counted as 1/2 absence.See my post please. that is how the official calculator shows us.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
transformer said:
As others have said, the residence calculator is your friend. Absences before PR do not "count" as double, however, it is often the case that you need to wait double the number of days to make up for those absences. To illustrate why this happens, let's simplify the rule, instead of saying 3 years out of 4, let's say 3 days out of 4. Now, imagine that you had one absence and just became a PR.

1/2 [ 1/2 0 1/2 1/2 | ]

Each number represents how much a day is worth towards citizenship, with [ ] denoting the last 4 days, and "|" being when you became PR. As you can see, in this instance you have 1/2+ 0 + 1/2+1/2 = 1.5 days, you would be a day and a half short. So, let's wait until tomorrow:

1/2 1/2 [1/2 0 1/2 | 1 ]

As you can see, you gained 1 day, but you lost half a day that dropped out of the 4-days window. Now you have 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 = 2 days, you are still short by a day -- you "gained" only half a day. Similarly, the day after that,

1/2 1/2 1/2 [ 0 1/2 | 1 1 ]

you would have 2.5 days. Again, you gained only half a day. But, the day after,

1/2 1/2 1/2 0 [ 1/2 | 1 1 1 ]

Now the one that dropped was the "0", so you didn't "lose" anything, and gained a full day. Now you have 3.5 days, and are eligible, at PR + 3 days. As you can see, how many days you "earn" after PR depends not only on how much you traveled, but also on when you traveled. A day away very close to the start of the 4-year period will affect you very little; an absence very close to the right side of the interval will affect you the most.

If your absences were like:

1/2 [ 0 1/2 1/2 1/2 | ]

you would be eligible at PR+2 days, the absence would not affect you at all. However, if your absence had been after becoming PR, like in:

1/2 [ 1/2 1/2 1/2 | 0 ]

it would hit you the hardest and delay your eligibility until PR+4 days: 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 | [0 1 1 1]

Yes, the calculations get messy... therefore, use the calculator!