+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do Canadian PR holders need German transit visa if travelling to Calgary via Frankfurt?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thank you so much for your reply but honestly I did not quite understand the phrase that says "holders of a valid visa for a Schengen Member State, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Japan or Romania"
Does this means PR holder can use Frankfurt airport for connecting flight to Canada? with my respect
No one cares about your PR status outside of Canada. You are an Iraqi citizen with an Iraqi passport, hence you need a visa. Your PR is not a visa, it just allows you to return to Canada and live here like an almost Canadian citizen

Reactions: Bland

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No one cares about your PR status outside of Canada. You are an Iraqi citizen with an Iraqi passport, hence you need a visa. Your PR is not a visa, it just allows you to return to Canada and live here like an almost Canadian citizen
That's not correct. Lots of places WILL allow transit for citizens of [most countries] if they have a valid visa to where they are connecting and many places WILL treat holders of PR cards somewhat differently including allowing transit for PR card holders (that would otherwise require a transit visa).

I read the instructions on the German airports site as saying a Canadian PR holder will be allowed to transit through the German airports - my only reservation is whether they will know that a valid PR card is, in effect, a Canadian visa.

@Bland : check with Lufthansa or Air Canada if you are travelling with either of them (esp if code share AC/LH). My experience is that both of those airlines know the rules for transiting via Frankfurt quite well - although it may take a bit of effort to find the person who can asnwer your question, the people responsible esp in Frankfurt & Munich (who make the board/no board decision) know very well what's allowed.

Reactions: Bland

Bland

Oct 11, 2021
That's not correct. Lots of places WILL allow transit for citizens of [most countries] if they have a valid visa to where they are connecting and many places WILL treat holders of PR cards somewhat differently including allowing transit for PR card holders (that would otherwise require a transit visa).

I read the instructions on the German airports site as saying a Canadian PR holder will be allowed to transit through the German airports - my only reservation is whether they will know that a valid PR card is, in effect, a Canadian visa.

@Bland : check with Lufthansa or Air Canada if you are travelling with either of them (esp if code share AC/LH). My experience is that both of those airlines know the rules for transiting via Frankfurt quite well - although it may take a bit of effort to find the person who can asnwer your question, the people responsible esp in Frankfurt & Munich (who make the board/no board decision) know very well what's allowed.
Thank you so much