+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DNA Test to prove parent-child relationship

jyanglaststar

Jun 8, 2017
After 9 months long wait, the HKVO sent me a letter today saying that the immigration officer thinks the evidence on hand isn't sufficient to prove my relationship with my wife and my now 6-month old son, which is rather ridiculous because:
  1. I flew back to China and stood by my wife's side for 7 weeks (before and after she gave birth to my son)
  2. The hospital wouldn't even issue my son's birth certificate if I wasn't there in person with my passport on hand for them to verify everything, plus the certificate was notarised and translated
  3. I actually wrote a letter to HKVO prior requesting an extension on my wife's medical exam because she's close to labor and I didn't want the X-ray to harm her or my son
  4. My mom went back to take care of my wife and son since last November
The DNA test is extremely costly ($1000 for 3 people), plus my wife and son had to fly to a nearby city to get their blood drawn, which is a huge hassle both physically and financially.

So my question is, has anyone gone through a similar case like mine? Did you end up doing the DNA test or did you ignore it (on the letter it says it's not mandatory)? What was your approach to respond to the immigration officer's doubt?

Thanks in advance.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It may not say it's mandatory, but you can certainly expect the application to be refused if your don't provide the testing. Other than to provide testing, I don't see any other way to respond to the VO, other than to provide the requested information.

Manal90

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
After 9 months long wait, the HKVO sent me a letter today saying that the immigration officer thinks the evidence on hand isn't sufficient to prove my relationship with my wife and my now 6-month old son, which is rather ridiculous because:
  1. I flew back to China and stood by my wife's side for 7 weeks (before and after she gave birth to my son)
  2. The hospital wouldn't even issue my son's birth certificate if I wasn't there in person with my passport on hand for them to verify everything, plus the certificate was notarised and translated
  3. I actually wrote a letter to HKVO prior requesting an extension on my wife's medical exam because she's close to labor and I didn't want the X-ray to harm her or my son
The DNA test is extremely costly ($1000 for 3 people), plus my wife and son had to fly to a nearby city to get their blood drawn, which is a huge hassle both physically and financially.

So my question is, has anyone gone through a similar case like mine? Did you end up doing the DNA test or did you ignore it (on the letter it says it's not mandatory)? What was your approach to respond to the immigration officer's doubt?

Thanks in advance.
You have no choice but to do it. We went through similar situation about amonth ago but we waited far longer than you are, in fact 22 months. Our Canadian born child and her dad (the applicant) did the test. IRC is terrible to deal with. Good luck.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Thanks in advance.
You would have to apply for your GCMS notes to see why the visa office has gone down this path. Possibly the hospital has a history of issuing falsified birth certificates?

jyanglaststar

Jun 8, 2017
You have no choice but to do it. We went through similar situation about amonth ago but we waited far longer than you are, in fact 22 months. Our Canadian born child and her dad (the applicant) did the test. IRC is terrible to deal with. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! Once the results came out, did it take long before the decision made status appears?

jyanglaststar

Jun 8, 2017
It may not say it's mandatory, but you can certainly expect the application to be refused if your don't provide the testing. Other than to provide testing, I don't see any other way to respond to the VO, other than to provide the requested information.
Yeah, I already contacted the designated lab to get the process started. Hopefully they're efficient at arranging everything so the test can be done in a timely fashion.

jyanglaststar

Jun 8, 2017
You would have to apply for your GCMS notes to see why the visa office has gone down this path. Possibly the hospital has a history of issuing falsified birth certificates?
Funny you mentioned that. I ordered GCMS notes last night and I got this letter today. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but it wouldn't hurt to look at what exactly was causing the doubt.

bambooc

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
AOR Received.
06-02-2015 AOR, 04-03-2015 AOR 2
File Transfer...
15-02-2015
Med's Done....
08-11-2014
Interview........
09-11-2015
Passport Req..
demanding
VISA ISSUED...
demanding
LANDED..........
ASAP
I suggest you to do whatever they ask you to do to avoid any hassles.