+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI CHANGE BEFORE APPROVAL OF STUDY PERMIT INTERNATIONAL STUDENT URGENT

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I urgently need to know if anyone has information regarding this. I submitted my study permit application for a university in Nova Scotia and later got an offer from a university in Ontario and hence I accepted their offer. According to the rules of the Canadian immigration, I notified them using the IRCC web form and uploaded the new letter of acceptance on there and a week later I got the approval for my visa. My passport has been stamped too but I have no information regarding the fact that they have seen that I wanted to change my DLI. How will this work when I travel to Canada???? I am so confused because I did as it said on their website. Someone pls let me know if this is even possible because I have all sorts of proof to show the Government that I am enrolled at my current university.
From the timeline you provided, it is clear your approval was for the NS uni cos it's unlikely your webform was received, and your new documents processed in a space of a week. You might need to get a new SP.

IRCC can cancel your current SP in a few weeks once they get your webform and see you intend to change DLI.

Reactions: Naturgrl

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Honestly, I would have selected the NS university - beautiful province, better cost of living than Ontario, cheaper tuition, not populated, on the ocean. And a good PNP program if looking to immigrate.
Couldn't agree more! NS beats Ontario in many ways (at least for me).

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
From the timeline you provided, it is clear your approval was for the NS uni cos it's unlikely your webform was received, and your new documents processed in a space of a week. You might need to get a new SP.

IRCC can cancel your current SP in a few weeks once they get your webform and see you intend to change DLI.
wait what???They can cancel it just like that??

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
wait what???They can cancel it just like that??
You better believe it. It happened to some guy on here in December 2020. His story is actually very similar to yours - got his SP approved a week after he sent a webform to change DLI (obviously IRCC hadn't received his webform by then). Few weeks after he got his SP and was planning to travel, he got an email from IRCC telling him his SP has been canceled since he wanted to change his DLI and he should not travel until he hears back from them. His counterfoil became invalid in his GCKey account. The guy stopped updating here, but his last update was 89 days still waiting for a resolution from IRCC.

That's what scared me into applying for a new SP when I wanted to change DLI . IRCC ain't playing.

• Wow
Reactions: mtosan and Geet7

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
You better believe it. It happened to some guy on here in December 2020. His story is actually very similar to yours - got his SP approved a week after he sent a webform to change DLI (obviously IRCC hadn't received his webform by then). Few weeks after he got his SP and was planning to travel, he got an email from IRCC telling him his SP has been canceled since he wanted to change his DLI and he should not travel until he hears back from them. His counterfoil became invalid in his GCKey account. The guy stopped updating here, but his last update was 89 days still waiting for a resolution from IRCC.

That's what scared me into applying for a new SP when I wanted to change DLI . IRCC ain't playing.
This story should be read by everybody thinking of changing DLI with an application in process! Sums the situation up perfectly!

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I'm facing the same situation, my loa has been expired but I haven't received the PPR and I have another program's LOA. So is it better to withdraw the current application and reapply at once? @wonderbly @Geet7 @Naturgrl Thanks a lot!
What do you mean your LOA expired? I'm assuming you mean your LOA was for the September 23 term... Didn't you ask for your college for a deferral for an upcoming term and an updated LOA?

If you want to submit an LOA from a different DLI with an application currently in progress, you would have to submit it via webform along with an updated SOP so that the VO knows why you are now deciding to change DLI. However, if you do that and you are approved, there is a chance you won't be clear as for which DLI IRCC approved your application.

Sabrinatman

Sep 23, 2022
What do you mean your LOA expired? I'm assuming you mean your LOA was for the September 23 term... Didn't you ask for your college for a deferral for an upcoming term and an updated LOA?

If you want to submit an LOA from a different DLI with an application currently in progress, you would have to submit it via webform along with an updated SOP so that the VO knows why you are now deciding to change DLI. However, if you do that and you are approved, there is a chance you won't be clear as for which DLI IRCC approved your application.
My LOA has expired on Sep.20 for program A which is 22fall intake and it has no deferral policy, I have to reapply the offer next year. Now I have been withdrawn from program A. Currently I have another program B’LOA for 23spring. That’s why I want to change the DLI.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Here, found it... it's a thread about an applicant who changed DLI while his application was in progress. When his application was approved, he found out it had been approved for his first DLI, not for the new one. Then, he received a message in his GC Account saying his visa was canceled and his application was reopened. The last he posted was it had been more than one year without an update from IRCC.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dli-change.736714/

Lesson should be to AVOID AT ALL COST changing DLI with an application in progress.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
My LOA has expired on Sep.20 for program A which is 22fall intake and it has no deferral policy, I have to reapply the offer next year. Now I have been withdrawn from program A. Currently I have another program B’LOA for 23spring. That’s why I want to change the DLI.
Don't know what to tell you... read my previous post so that you get a better idea of what changing DLI's can imply... hope you figure it out! Good luck!

Sabrinatman

Sep 23, 2022
Here, found it... it's a thread about an applicant who changed DLI while his application was in progress. When his application was approved, he found out it had been approved for his first DLI, not for the new one. Then, he received a message in his GC Account saying his visa was canceled and his application was reopened. The last he posted was it had been more than one year without an update from IRCC.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dli-change.736714/

Lesson should be to AVOID AT ALL COST changing DLI with an application in progress.
Ok Got it. Thanks very much. I decide to withdraw the current application and reapply asap. Really appreciate!

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Ok Got it. Thanks very much. I decide to withdraw the current application and reapply asap. Really appreciate!
Just make sure to investigate and research thoroughly before making any decision. Hope you figure it out because it's not an easy scenario. Good luck!

gattuso

Apr 15, 2023
Hi guys,my visa was approved and since am suppose to start class by may I got issue iom and I was ask to go for sputum test which took another 3month of my time and after that I got my visa..now my school told me to reapply and when I reapply for Jan intake and I was told there are no more seat available and I should wait till November..I got a new LOA from a new school at the same province but I want to know if I need to submit the school DLI or use my previous school LOA at the port of entry and am flying by December..am confused right now...any suggestion please