+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DLI CHANGE BEFORE APPROVAL OF STUDY PERMIT INTERNATIONAL STUDENT URGENT

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
I urgently need to know if anyone has information regarding this. I submitted my study permit application for a university in Nova Scotia and later got an offer from a university in Ontario and hence I accepted their offer. According to the rules of the Canadian immigration, I notified them using the IRCC web form and uploaded the new letter of acceptance on there and a week later I got the approval for my visa. My passport has been stamped too but I have no information regarding the fact that they have seen that I wanted to change my DLI. How will this work when I travel to Canada???? I am so confused because I did as it said on their website. Someone pls let me know if this is even possible because I have all sorts of proof to show the Government that I am enrolled at my current university.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I urgently need to know if anyone has information regarding this. I submitted my study permit application for a university in Nova Scotia and later got an offer from a university in Ontario and hence I accepted their offer. According to the rules of the Canadian immigration, I notified them using the IRCC web form and uploaded the new letter of acceptance on there and a week later I got the approval for my visa. My passport has been stamped too but I have no information regarding the fact that they have seen that I wanted to change my DLI. How will this work when I travel to Canada???? I am so confused because I did as it said on their website. Someone pls let me know if this is even possible because I have all sorts of proof to show the Government that I am enrolled at my current university.
If your study permit is for the NS university (which is most likely is because you got approval within a week of webform submission - webforms aren’t processed that fast) you will need a new study permit. Webforms take weeks to be seen by VO.

@wonderbly can answer from experience.

Reactions: wonderbly

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
If your study permit is for the NS university (which is most likely is because you got approval within a week of webform submission - webforms aren’t processed that fast) you will need a new study permit. Webforms take weeks to be seen by VO.

@wonderbly can answer from experience.
Thanks! So do I need to go there and get a new permit or do the process again from my country of residence and then miss classes over there because obviously I wouldn't get the permit in time :/

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks! So do I need to go there and get a new permit or do the process again from my country of residence and then miss classes over there because obviously I wouldn't get the permit in time :/
You really need to know what DLI is on your permit. You will most likely be denied entry into Canada if permit is for NS school (and sent home) because you would not be able to show that you are registered and paying tuition. .

Again wait for experts who have change DLIs before entering Canada. Believe all applied for new study permits.

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
You really need to know what DLI is on your permit. You will most likely be denied entry into Canada if permit is for NS school (and sent home) because you would not be able to show that you are registered and paying tuition. .

Again wait for experts who have change DLIs before entering Canada. Believe all applied for new study permits.
right okay. Tried contacting IRCC but there's not really a way where I can directly. However, Immigration agents who helped me apply for visa and the university are certain that I can travel to the new university with this approval itself.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
right okay. Tried contacting IRCC but there's not really a way where I can directly. However, Immigration agents who helped me apply for visa and the university are certain that I can travel to the new university with this approval itself.
What university? You may be able to enter but you can’t study at the new university if the original one is on your permit. IRCC changed rules so you need a new permit.

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
What university? You may be able to enter but you can’t study at the new university if the original one is on your permit. IRCC changed rules so you need a new permit.
Mhmm that makes sense. Hope they can do it there itself.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Mhmm that makes sense. Hope they can do it there itself.
Who is they? As per the rules:

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

So to change DLI once you enter Canada, you must study at your first DLI for at least a semester and then change DLI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
Who is they? As per the rules:

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

So to change DLI once you enter Canada, you must study at your first DLI for at least a semester and then change DLI.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Oh I see. But that would be impossible now because I am not enrolled at the NS university (the old one ) anymore. Guess I should just not travel

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Oh I see. But that would be impossible now because I am not enrolled at the NS university (the old one ) anymore. Guess I should just not travel
I don't mean to come off as offensive but why would you change DLI with an application in process? Dealing with IRCC is extremely complex and everything is moves extremely slow, why add the pressure of changing DLI?

Just hope that future applicants read this and apply for a SP once they are 120% sure about the DLI and career they wish to pursue.

Good luck!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't mean to come off as offensive but why would you change DLI with an application in process? Dealing with IRCC is extremely complex and everything is moves extremely slow, why add the pressure of changing DLI?

Just hope that future applicants read this and apply for a SP once they are 120% sure about the DLI and career they wish to pursue.

Good luck!
Very good advice. Too many people on this forum change DLIs during application process and just think it is automatically added. It takes weeks for webforms to be read, processed and added to file. Many times people leave it too late. IRCC changes the rules a couple of years ago to not allow changes to DLI when entering Canada.

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
Very good advice. Too many people on this forum change DLIs during application process and just think it is automatically added. It takes weeks for webforms to be read, processed and added to file. Many times people leave it too late. IRCC changes the rules a couple of years ago to not allow changes to DLI when entering Canada.
Haha no I mean its true I do agree but I only decided to do this because I got an offer from the other university a week later after I submitted my sp application and I think a lot of international students face this issue.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Haha no I mean its true I do agree but I only decided to do this because I got an offer from the other university a week later after I submitted my sp application and I think a lot of international students face this issue.
I'm sure people that change DLI do it because of legitimate reasons, no question about that. But most do it without the due diligence to know what changing DLI implies BEFORE actually doing it.

Chances are that if you change DLI after submitting an application, you will have to submit a new application. Most people change DLI without having notion of this issue. In your case, you already received your Visa approval, which is very difficult for a lot of people to get. If you now want to study at a different DLI, you would have to submit a new application, which is not guaranteed to be approved. That's what people need to know about the hole changing DLI process before getting into it.

user3456

Aug 17, 2022
Hi so, Do You know anyone with a similar experience because 5 different people are telling me 5 different things and if there's someone on here who went through this, I'd like to learn from what they have to say too??? Thanks for the details tho! Appreciate it