+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced after Landing in Canada as a secondary applicant

Colimetas

Sep 30, 2018
Me and my husband got PR in express entry and landed in Canada. Unfortunately our four years marriage came to an end and legally got divorced as well in India with mutual consent.
My questions are
1) As I was secondary applicant, Does it affect my PR status?
2) If it does not affect my PR status, As i am married again, Can i bring my new husband to Canada ?
3) How can i proceed to bring him to Canada?

I believe they does not consider my case as a marriage scam, As we were married for four years and, But unfortunately it dint work out.

Thank You,

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but

1)your PR status is yours to keep and nothing to do with your ex husband. You still need to meet the 2 years out of 5 residency obligation to keep your status

2)Sure you can sponsor your new husband although as a PR you would need to be in Canada to do that.

3)As said as a PR you can only sponsor a spouse whilst you are living in Canada.

You could try to apply for a TRV for your husband although odds are not always that great for approval. If successful then when in Canada you could apply for inland sponsorship which provides for your spouse to apply for a work permit Whilst the application is processed.

Finally you must be in compliance with the residency obligation before submitting any sponsorship

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Me and my husband got PR in express entry and landed in Canada. Unfortunately our four years marriage came to an end and legally got divorced as well in India with mutual consent.
My questions are
1) As I was secondary applicant, Does it affect my PR status?
2) If it does not affect my PR status, As i am married again, Can i bring my new husband to Canada ?
3) How can i proceed to bring him to Canada?

I believe they does not consider my case as a marriage scam, As we were married for four years and, But unfortunately it dint work out.

Thank You,
  1. If you already landed and are a PR, nothing. I you haven't landed, you can't anymore.
  2. You would have to sponsor him, you'd have to be in Canada and remain in Canada. This takes usually between 1-2 years.
  3. Move back to Canada, just you, and then Sponsor him. He'll have to be overseas until the application is approved and you'll have to remain in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you ever live together in Canada? Did you travel together to land? How soon after did you get divorced? Did you both return to your home country?

Colimetas

Sep 30, 2018
  1. If you already landed and are a PR, nothing. I you haven't landed, you can't anymore.
  2. You would have to sponsor him, you'd have to be in Canada and remain in Canada. This takes usually between 1-2 years.
  3. Move back to Canada, just you, and then Sponsor him. He'll have to be overseas until the application is approved and you'll have to remain in Canada.
Thank you for the response.
Others can comment as well but

1)your PR status is yours to keep and nothing to do with your ex husband. You still need to meet the 2 years out of 5 residency obligation to keep your status

2)Sure you can sponsor your new husband although as a PR you would need to be in Canada to do that.

3)As said as a PR you can only sponsor a spouse whilst you are living in Canada.

You could try to apply for a TRV for your husband although odds are not always that great for approval. If successful then when in Canada you could apply for inland sponsorship which provides for your spouse to apply for a work permit Whilst the application is processed.

Finally you must be in compliance with the residency obligation before submitting any sponsorship
thank you for the response. Highly appreciate.

Colimetas

Sep 30, 2018
Did you ever live together in Canada? Did you travel together to land? How soon after did you get divorced? Did you both return to your home country?
NO. We dint stayed together in Canada. We landed on different days. we got divorce after a year. i returned back to my home country and he is till there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
NO. We dint stayed together in Canada. We landed on different days. we got divorce after a year. i returned back to my home country and he is till there.
Then that could be a problem since you never arrived in Canada while still a couple. It seems as though you were actually separated before landing in Canada.