+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced after i got Permanent Resident

Frogfish604

Dec 14, 2020
My Wife( Canadian ), We married 2018 got PR's approved 2019. She's sponsorship PR's but the relationship seems to end, she's planning to divorced! Do i lose my PR status if divorced? Do i have to pay anything and Do i have to leave the country!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your PR status is yours to keep as long as you continue to meet the residency obligation same as any other PR. Nothing to pay and do not have to leave the country.

Your to be EX will still be tied to the supprt undertaking that was part of the sponsorship so 3 years from date became a PR .

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#obligations

Last edited:

Frogfish604

Dec 14, 2020
Your PR status is yours to keep as long as you continue to meet the residency obligation same as any other PR. Nothing to pay and do not have to leave the country.

Your to be EX will still be tied to the supprt undertaking that was part of the sponsorship so 3 years from date became a PR .

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#obligations
Thank you for your response!
In this case i did leaving the country due to my spause rejected me and push me away from her apartment, I was desperate didn't have enough financial to support my self when we're apart! If I plan to back in the country soon is this guide 5289 still works, do I need to talk to a expert, because my partner hire a lawyer to filing divorced in the next few weeks! Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response!
In this case i did leaving the country due to my spause rejected me and push me away from her apartment, I was desperate didn't have enough financial to support my self when we're apart! If I plan to back in the country soon is this guide 5289 still works, do I need to talk to a expert, because my partner hire a lawyer to filing divorced in the next few weeks! Thank you
Yes, you can still return to Canada and the above still applies.

You need to hire a divorce lawyer as well to represent your interests.